Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Romeo?

Re: Romeo?

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea2peanut
    I think it's a name that other men/boys would have a hard time taking seriously. I think Roman is a viable alternative.
    This. Romeo just seems kind of pretentious and full of teasing potential. Roman is a much better option.

Dislike Romeo for all the reasons already mentioned. I do think Roman is a better option.

Okay. But if Romeo were used for a dog or character in a book, are all bets off? I have a hunch it is only a name for a baby that it doesn't work.

Or maybe I'm wrong. Bad in a book? Bad on -- say a Brittany Spaniel?

I know that sounds like a weird question, but it might sound pretentious -- even on a dog, if you know what I mean!

I find it fascinating to read which names people think are off limits and which are acceptable when it comes to literary names! For example why is Juliet so common but Romeo is pretentious. People call their kids Atticus and Scout but Heathcliff is pushing it. Cordelia is fine but Dorian is going too far, and so on...

I love Romeo and would consider using it, if it wasn't for the backlash it would get because it can't be taken seriously. What I dont get is why it can't be taken seriously when Juliet can be?

I definitely think it could work on a dog, although I wish it was an acceptable person name!

Oh, and Roman makes my skin crawl. I've encountered one too many!

Quote Originally Posted by lauren-kay
    I find it fascinating to read which names people think are off limits and which are acceptable when it comes to literary names! For example why is Juliet so common but Romeo is pretentious. People call their kids Atticus and Scout but Heathcliff is pushing it. Cordelia is fine but Dorian is going too far, and so on...

I love Romeo and would consider using it, if it wasn't for the backlash it would get because it can't be taken seriously. What I dont get is why it can't be taken seriously when Juliet can be?

I definitely think it could work on a dog, although I wish it was an acceptable person name!

Oh, and Roman makes my skin crawl. I've encountered one too many!
    Amen. I can't like Roman, even a little. I like Romeo and join you in wondering why it is over the top when Juliet is adored. Go figure.

I like it for a literary character. But then the writer is in control of what sort of character bears the name. You can *make* the name masculine, you can make your character a cowboy named Romeo and all that is left is the gentle irony. You can, in short, make the name work.