Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Iris Marcheline, William Klaus, Viola Blair and...?

Some specific ideas for girls' names. Since Iris peaked in the late 1920s and Viola in the mid-1900s, I looked up the popularity lists for 1927 and 1905 and found these names around the same level of popularity, that I think have similar feels yet are distinctive:

Blanche
    Cecilia
    Cora
    Dorothea
    Eloise
    Estella
    Esther
    Fay/Faye
    Lenora
    Mabel
    Marcella
    Marguerite
    Maude
    Olive
    Pearl
    Priscilla
    Ramona
    Winifred
    Pam Satran
    Nameberry

Livia, Marianne, and Ivy are all gorgeous names!!! Don't worry about Livia being confused for Livia. I think it's GORGEOUS and am using it as middle name for my daughter.

pet peeves: nicknames as given names; unconventional spellings; masculine names on girls
    not-so-guilty pleasures: five-syllable girls' names; virtue and nature names; over-the-top antique names for boys
    (if i repeat name suggestions in a thread, it's because i like them! no apologies here for repeats of great names! )

I'm going to do a little switcheroo and suggest:

Tessa Marianne for a girl.

I also love Harrison and Theodore for a boy, but I'm not too fond of the middlenames.

Tess (Tessa) and Teddy (Theodore) would be adorable, but I'm not sure how you feel about same-initial first names.

I also really like Pam's suggestion of Cecilia.

I'm going to do a little switcheroo and suggest:

Tessa Marianne for a girl.

I also love Harrison and Theodore for a boy, but I'm not too fond of the middlenames.

Tess (Tessa) and Teddy (Theodore) would be adorable, but I'm not sure how you feel about same-initial first names.

I also really like Pam's suggestion of Cecilia.

Hello, everyone! First off, I'm so glad we found this site - you guys have been amazing!
    I've talked things over with my husband and we've agreed on yet another *final* list.

Girls
    Tessa - thanks to all the people who suggested Tessa, I do prefer it to Tess! We love the idea of Tessa Willow or Tessa Marianne!
    Opal - husband threw this out there a few days ago. I hated it at first, but it's beginning to grow on me! Would three girls called Iris, Viola and Opal be too ridiculously whimsical?
    Marianne/Mariana - still like Marianne, possibily because Sense & Sensibility was on TV a few nights ago (Colonel Brandon, ah! ) Mariana's a gorgeous suggestion, too! We're British, so we'd pronounce it Mari-AH-na, not Mari-anna.
    Mabel - love it, but not sure if I can imagine it on a 40 year old?
    Estella - but we know an Estelle... lovely person, but not sure I want to name a child after her! :lol:
    Lucia - raiding the archives - thanks for the name-finding tip, Pam!
    Odessa - overly theatrical?
    Roisin - bit... Irish? (don't get me wrong, I love Ireland, but...)
    Alice - goes so well with our other names, but I'm not sure if I LOVE it as a stand-alone
    re: Rose-related names... Is plain Rose a bit much with Iris and Viola? What about Rosamel, bit out there? Love the combination Rose Eleanora!
    re: Matilda - whoever brought up that point about Will was absolutely right, haha. Tillie and Willie - unfortunate! I found the name Casilda, which to me has a similar vibe to Matilda and has the cute nn Cassie, but I'm yet to convince the husband. What do you think?

Boys
    Phileas - still love it, for no discernable reason. There is the inevitable nn of 'Phil', though, which is a definite downside. Bugger. Nevertheless, he's still in the running!
    Theodore
    Edmund
    Oscar

As is evident, we're really struggling with boys' names!

Okay - sorry for the novel! x