Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Joseph or Mary?

Joseph or Mary?

Hypothetical question here:

I feel like the names Joseph and Mary as siblings are probably too much.

So since probably only one can be used, which is better for you, Joseph for a boy or Mary for a girl?

I've loved the name Joseph for a long time. Mary is a newer love, but really growing on me.

As you can probably guess I don't mind the religious implications of the name in general.

More specifically, would people assume Mary was from a Catholic family? That wouldn't bother me, I don't think, although it wouldn't be accurate.

Or do you think these two can be in a family together after all?

What about Joseph and Mary relatives, like Joseph and Mara or Joseph and Rosemary?

Thanks!

Re: Joseph or Mary?

I agree Joseph and Mary together may create some jokes for your family down the road. I don't think either on their own would beg questions if they are from a catholic family. I LOVE the name Joseph, but agree you could do other versions of Mary with Joseph like Rosemary, Marie, Mary Cate, Mary Grace, etc.

Good luck! You can never go wrong with classic names.

I agree Joseph and Mary together may create some jokes for your family down the road. I don't think either on their own would beg questions if they are from a catholic family. I LOVE the name Joseph, but agree you could do other versions of Mary with Joseph like Rosemary, Marie, Mary Cate, Mary Grace, etc.

Good luck! You can never go wrong with classic names.

I love the name Mary. If given the choice for myself, I would choose Mary, no question. I don't get "Catholic" from it. I don't really have a religious association with it at all. Obviously that would change if paired with Joseph, however. My favourite variations of Mary are Maria (probably not the best way to go when used as a sib to Joseph), Mary Rose and Marianne, spelled this way it's more Jane Austen than Gilligan's Island, lol.
    * James * Henry * Baker * Ronan * Harry * Rhys * Shepard *
    * Maisie * Beatrice * Sadie * Violet * Zoey * Mary * Caroline * Juniper *

I posted about the same dilemma a little while back! Eventually I settled on Mary, and relegated Joseph to the middle spot (the decision was largely because I felt Mary, which is pretty unusual now, fitted better with the general feel of my other favourites). I do love Joseph, though - I cannot imagine a bad guy named Joe, and Sepp or Seph would be a handsome, innovative nickname choice.

Like you, I don't mind the religious implications at all, but although I am Christian, I'm not Catholic. I do think of Mary as Catholic, despite the fact I'm planning on using it myself, but that's really just because all of the younger Marys I know (not very many) come from Catholic families ... which just makes me think it's more unusual, and I love that.

That said, it's true that Mary has more variations you could use than Joseph does. I wouldn't notice the connection between Joseph and Rosemary, or even Joseph and Marietta or the like, at all, (especially not if they were using nicknames - Joe/Seph and Rosie/Molly/Mamie/Etta/Maisie et cetera) although I would between Joseph and Mary-doublename.

Auburn