Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

French Canadian Names- Thoughts?

Hi! I'm new to nameberry after being a long-time lurker.

I live in a bilingual area of Canada (outside of Québec). I attended a French-language school and then went to an English-speaking university. I realized quickly that alot of the names that were very popular in my area, were unheard of just two hours away! I've compiled a list of names I consider either typically French-Canadian or that are popular in my area but that I've rarely encountered else where.

Myself, I am only considering names that are easily pronounceable in both languages for my children.

I'd love to have your thoughts on some of them, whether you think they are usuable in a unilingual-English environment, or which ones are just unpronounceable. Also, if you think of any other names that you consider "typically French", please add!

(I left on the accents for authenticity, but most of them can be removed in English)

Girls/Filles
    Anabelle
    Anic/Anik
    Arianne
    Camille
    Caroline
    Céline
    Charlène
    Chantal(e)
    Christine
    Chloé
    Claudine
    Claudelle
    Danielle
    Erika
    Ève
    Florence
    Frédérique
    Janelle
    Janika
    Gabrielle
    Geneviève (nn Gen, like Jen)
    Joëlle
    Jocelyne
    Josée
    Josiane
    Jovielle
    Justine
    Karine/Karina
    Léa
    Louise
    Madeleine
    Marissa
    Mirabel
    Michèle
    Maélie
    Mylaine
    Natasha
    Noémie
    Renée
    Roxanne
    Samuelle (I met one girl with this name, I thought it was great)
    Sylvie
    Valérie
    Véronique
    Zoé

Boys/Garçons
    Alexandre/Alex
    André
    Antoine
    Christian
    Éric
    Félix
    François (nn Frank in English)
    Guillaume
    Jean
    Julien
    Martin
    Mathieu
    Maxime/Max
    Miguel
    Michaël (pronouced Mee-kah-elle)
    Paul
    Patrick
    Philippe
    Pierre
    René
    Samuel
    Sébastien
    Stéphane/Stéfan
    Vincent
    Xavier

Re: French Canadian Names- Thoughts?

ocross, hello! I am located in southern Ontario, so I think I am pretty well suited to consider your question. It it very surprising to see the names popular in the Quebec area and how virtually unknown they are in the rest of Canada. It is interesting to see the National top 100 names, you can easily spot (I think) the names that have a boost because of French speaking Canadians (Florence #34, Noemie #48, Raphaelle #73, Delphine #78, Felix #26, Raphael #42, Maxim #66, Julien #77). I have never met anyone with the names I just listed!

I think your list is very usable but I am going to list my favorites in terms of usability in an area primarily English speaking. My favourites of the bunch are in green

Girls/Filles
    Anabelle - although I prefer the spelling Annabel
    Camille
    Caroline
    Céline
    Christine
    Chloé
    Ève
    Florence
    Gabrielle
    Léa
    Louise
    Madeleine

Marissa
    Mirabel
    Maélie
    Natasha
    Noémie
    Renée
    Roxanne
    Sylvie
    Valérie
    Véronique
    Zoé

Boys/Garçons
    Alexandre/Alex - Although it would be misspelt as Alexander a lot.
    Christian
    Éric
    Félix
    Julien
    Martin
    Paul
    Patrick
    Philippe
    Pierre
    René
    Samuel
    Sébastien
    Vincent
    Xavier

Unfortunately, I have no idea what a typically French name would be (sad, I know), so I can't suggest any new names to add!
    Mama to Theodore Adl3r Emm3tt "Theo" born April 2012

Expecting baby #2 March 2015!! It's a GIRL!!!!

*Louisa *Felicity *Gwendolen *Clementine *Rosalie *Philippa *Lavinia *Beatrix *Wren *Eugenia *Florence *Primrose
    *Percival (Percy)*Augustin (Gus) *Arthur (Ari) *Frederick (Fritz) *Dashiell (Dash) *Winston *Felix *Walter *Henry/Hendrick *Edwin *Rupert

Guilty pleasures ~Pomeline, Peregrine, Delphine, and Ferdinand

We might be from around the same area

I personally like:
    Camille
    Caroline
    Florence
    Geneviève (dislike the nn and I ONLY like this in French. I hate it in English)
    Jocelyne (YES! With the -e on the end. I know French male Jocelyns and I can't get used to it on a girl)
    Léa (haha, I read a "J'aime lire" book when I was in grade 3 called "Léo contre Léa" and I started loving both names way back then)
    Louise
    Madeleine
    Mirabel
    Noémie

Alexandre
    Félix
    François
    Jean (I like this in a combo like Jean-Luc or Jean-François)
    Julien
    Martin
    Maxime/Max
    Paul
    Philippe
    Sébastien
    Stéfan
    Vincent
    Xavier

I think I know people with 95% of these names
    Others that came to mind (maybe not specifically French-Canadian but names of people from QC who I know):
    Maude
    Claudie
    Delphine
    Éloïse
    Joannie
    Hélène
    Sabine
    Sandrine
    Eugénie
    Céleste

Claude
    Nicolas
    Olivier
    Bruno
    Pascal
    Joël
    Étienne

And think most of them work well in French and English. They won't be pronounced the name, but in my opinion, that isn't a huge deal. If the kid is going to speak both languages anyway, I think he/she will understand why his/her name isn't pronounced the same between the languages.

Ones I'd use in an English-only area (as long as you want them pronounced in English. I don't think you could easily get away with an English-only Camille pronounced kah-MEE):
    Caroline, Louise, Madeleine, Mirabel, Maude, Eloise, Sabine, Eugenie, Céleste.
    Felix, Martin, Paul, Vincent, Bruno (though I can't think of English-only people who like that, haha. Most people I know who like it/ have used it/ whose name it is also speak Spanish or French), Joel.
    Lucia
    travel. teach. learn.
    20-something, name aficionada
    Sela, Vivian and Bastian "Baz", Fletcher

While I do not live in Canada, I do speak French fluently, so I think that qualifies me? Anyway, here are the ones from your list that I especially love:

Annabel
    Camille
    Caroline
    Céline
    Christine
    Chloé
    Ève
    Gabrielle
    Jocelyne
    Léa
    Louise
    Madeleine
    Mirabel
    Michèle
    Natasha
    Valérie
    Véronique
    Zoé

Alexandre/Alex
    Christian
    François (nn Frank in English)
    Guillaume
    Jean
    Julien
    Mathieu
    Michaël (pronouced Mee-kah-elle)
    Paul
    Patrick
    Philippe
    Pierre
    Stéphane/Stéfan

And from the other lists:
    Éloïse
    Sabine
    Sandrine
    Céleste

Claude
    Nicolas

@garnetgirl: YES! Definitely qualifies! I'm really interested in seeing what people from other regions think of these names, since many of them I don't see often outside of my region.

@lucialucentum: haha, I have a hunch we are too, since you reference J'aime Lire's! Great additions. I love "Maude" in french but I'd be worried that people who pronouce in "Mod" (like in the Simpsons) in English, instead of "Mode". I didn't put Eloise, because I don't know any personally, but I love it! It's definitely in my top 10.

@amanda: thanks for the pointing out the names in the 100 nationally. personally, I have a cousin named Florence. I've also met Noémie, Felix and lot's and lot's of Maxim's and Julien's...

I hope they gain popularity in more English-speaking regions because I think they work great in both lanugages.