Names Searched Right Now:

View Poll Results: What spelling should we use?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Giuliana

5 13.89%
  • Juliana

31 86.11%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Juliana or Giuliana?

We will be naming our daughter this...but can't decide on which way to spell it! What do you think, Juliana or Giuliana??

Re: Juliana or Giuliana?

I'm kinda obsessed about Italian spellings, lol, so I LOVE Giuliana! I'm also addicted to Giulia and Giovanna. My sister had a penpal from Italy who was Giulia, and I've loved it ever since! I like Giuliana almost as much. I think you might have more spelling/pronunciation issues (jee-ooh-lee-ahh-nahh), but it's just so gorgeous! I would especially vote for that if you have ANY Italian blood in you! Positively gorgeous!

I like Italian girls names but I'm not a fan of the Giuliana spelling. I would go with the more classic Juliana. If you live in the US, go for Juliana. If you live in Italy, have Italian heritage or live in a neighborhood which is heavily populated by Italians, choose Giuliana.
    All the best,
    Mischa.

Quote Originally Posted by mischa
    I like Italian girls names but I'm not a fan of the Giuliana spelling. I would go with the more classic Juliana. If you live in the US, go for Juliana. If you live in Italy, have Italian heritage or live in a neighborhood which is heavily populated by Italians, choose Giuliana.
    I agree with this. Using the Italian spelling when there is a perfectly legitimate "English" spelling of a name, seems a little pretentious to me unless there is a specific reason, i.e. you or your partner are Italian or have Italian roots, you speak Italian or you have a special tie to Italy. If the names were pronounced differently it would be a different matter and I'd just say go for your fav, but since they are said the exact same as far as I know and it's just a matter of spelling, I think I'd go for Juliana.

I do just prefer the look of Juliana too and it seems like it'd have more longevity to me too. Plus didn't the Giuliana just jump up the SSA list loads?! Just something to think about! Either would be lovely in reality though.
    28 year old name addict, dreaming of a future:

Claudie, Quentin, Lilac, Otto, Mirabelle, Emrys, Thea, Xavier, Angelica, Harlan, Phoebe, Byron, Tabitha, Lennox

I actually prefer the look of Giuliana. My background is Italian and I actually have a cousin named Giulia, so I know it can work. However, unless it's REALLY important to you to reflect that heritage, I wouldn't use it in the US. Giulia gets her name misspelled constantly. She's used to it and it doesn't really bother her, but it's just more trouble than it's worth, in my opinion.