Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: What do you think of "filler" middle names?

I think this is on the threshold of becoming a pet peeve of mine.

Example, my nephew's wife is considering "Rose" in the middle. I know -- booooo! She's considering it to honor a relative who just happened to be named Rose. Can I hear those boos turn to yays, please?

I also know someone (well) named Carly Ann. Again -- big boos, right? Except that her name is really a twist on her mother's name, Carolyn. Suddenly, Ann feels right, no?

If Ann, Rose, Blue, Jane, Marie or Lynn is working for you in the middle, for whatever reason, use it. Sometimes deliberately skipping those choices -- just because -- is an affectation.

Also, if you are in the market for fresh middles, check out the blog here:

http://nameberry.com/blog/cool-middl...s-for-facebook

And list here:

http://nameberry.com/list/219/Cool-Middle-Names

My middle name is Kay which is a total filler name - my parents couldn't think what else to use and decided Kay flowed well. I agree with SillySheila in that no one ever guesses my middle name if they know the first initial. Only problem is when I say "Kay" some people think it literally is just the initial. Homer J Simpson style, y'know... :roll:

I don't have a problem with filler names as long as they really do add to the whole name. Sometimes I read in the births section about babies called Lily Rose or whatever and roll my eyes thinking the parents just gave up. Having said that, like Bonnie1107 pointed out, some names which are considered filler names are actually well thought out by and/or hold a lot of meaning for the parents so in general I try to reserve judgement!

"Sometimes deliberately skipping those choices -- just because -- is an affectation." That's exactly how I feel when people pass up names they love simply because of popularity, so I know I'm certainly over-analyzing this!

I'm thinking of using a short and classic middle name because my first name choices tend to be on the longer, girly side.

Thoughts on Gwendolen May and Cecilia Jane? (I also love Gwendolen Pearl but last name starts with a P and I'm not digging the alliteration.)

Quote Originally Posted by balboafalkor
    Thoughts on Gwendolen May and Cecilia Jane? (I also love Gwendolen Pearl but last name starts with a P and I'm not digging the alliteration.)

Gwendolen May, Gwendolen Pearl and Cecilia Jane are gorgeous names. While you may not like the alliteration of Pearl with a P last name, many people will not even know the middle name, so if you love it, go for it!
    My girls: Grace Patricia "Gracie Pat" & Eloise Martha "Elsie Mae"
    If we had a baby today: Moira Jane OR Desmond Walter
    Guys: Julian, Amos, Tobias, August, Silas
    Dolls: Iris, Hazel, Flora, Margo, Agnes

http://modernmonikers.wordpress.com