Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

What do you think of "filler" middle names?

I gravitate toward using short, one-syllable middle names because I like longer, usually three-syllable names, and with a two-syllable last name, it looks/sounds nice to me. But I’m having trouble coming up with one-syllable middle names that aren’t considered “filler” (either in the past, present, or potentially the future). Jane and May sound fresher to me than names like Rose and Faith, but will I find that these names are gradually just being revived and recycled as the years go on? Will more modern-sounding middle names, like Lark and Sage and Blue, simply be the Anne's and Lynn's of the future?

What names do you consider to be “filler”? Have you ever used one? Can you think of any one-syllable names that AREN’T considered “filler”?

Re: What do you think of "filler" middle names?

I don't think there's anything wrong with using a 'filler' middle name. If it makes the name sound more fluid, then it serves a purpose. It also helps to have a middle name to distinguish the child from others with the same first and last name, which today can be important. I have no middle name, and I'd have preferred a 'filler' over the blank space for ID purposes. There's no way to predict the future, so it's best to choose a name that you like, instead of worrying about trends.
    http://geeknames.blogspot.com/
    My favorites right now:
    Girls: Alena, Anya, Emme, Fable, Gwyneth, Thalia, Thora, Vaiva
    Boys: August, Bodhi, Blake, Declan, Eamon, Fergus, Finch, Rory

I wouldn't worry about trends. Many parents are becoming more sensitive about the "filler" nickname issue and are gravitating to more unique choices for their children. My middle name is Kaye and I have always loved it. People would rarely guess my middle name if they knew the initial, because they subconsciously would have eliminated that choice. Even common fillers like Ann and Lynn are being used less and less. Word names, especially those with special meaning to the parents, can be very refreshing, unexpected and are less "filling".

Kay
    Dee
    Bea
    Fawn
    Fern
    Joy
    Lake
    Love
    Greer
    Rae
    Rue
    Claire
    Dawn
    Blush
    Wren
    Park
    Dove
    Maeve
    Cove
    My girls: Grace Patricia "Gracie Pat" & Eloise Martha "Elsie Mae"
    If we had a baby today: Moira Jane OR Desmond Walter
    Guys: Julian, Amos, Tobias, August, Silas
    Dolls: Iris, Hazel, Flora, Margo, Agnes

http://modernmonikers.wordpress.com

I think it's so interesting how certain names can feel both fresh and dated, depending on what generation you're from!

I'm definitely leaning toward using middle names like Jane/May because they honor family, and am not terribly concerned about trends. I didn't mind my own filler middle name (Anne), though I never really loved it, either.

My favorite one-syllable middle that I consider (arguably) less "filler" than others:

Girls:
    Dove
    Blue
    Lark
    Lane
    Pearl
    Rogue
    Flor
    Cloud
    Sage

Boys:
    Oak
    Quest
    Locke
    North
    Wilde
    Ridge
    Thorne