Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Radley

Re: Radley

I like Dashiell and Radley / Dash and Rad pretty well. I don't think it's too close to Riley or Bradley in the end, although those are fair considerations. It sounds like you've had some kind of similar experiences with Dashiell / Dash and it's been fine in the end. I really like the suggestion of Radford nn Ford. However, if you are looking for a surname-ish Ra- I really do love Dashiell and Rafferty / Dash and Raff. Maybe Rafferty's a little celebu-baby right now, and maybe Dash and Raff are still a little close, but I do love that name and personally think it fits well. Had you thought of it and already rejected it? Sorry if so! : D. Best wishes in any case!

lyndsay, i think we have very similar naming styles. i also have a son named dashiell. and wes, rafferty, finnegan and ridley were all on our short list. have you thought of ridley? i like radley, it definitely looks like the kid in the picture, which actually looks like it could be my dashiell in a few years! like someone else said, rad, is a little outdated as a word, but i think that could be a good thing. i also like pairing it with a classic middle like william.

neuilly- I totally see both of your points. Being confused for Bradley would probably get annoying, but I don't think it would be too big of a deal. Interesting that you think "rad" being a dated word makes the name seem dated, I hadn't thought of it that way. I actually think it seems more like an updated version of Bradley, I don't know. We wouldn't use Rad as a nickname in the way you'd use, say, Mike for Michael. It'd be more of a short form, for when we're being lazy speakers.

jesba- I have thought about Rafferty, quite a lot, actually. I think it's awesome, but it's just a little bit off for me. Kind of like Atticus (why is this always my example), I can't imagine saying it 100 times a day. I like Raff, but not Rafe, and Raffy is SO tied to the children's singer for me since my mom was a preschool teacher when he was popular, we listened to his tapes way too much. It's one of those names I would be beyond thrilled for my son to be best friends with, but just can't use myself. Also, my husband "doesn't get it". It is a very good suggestion though, thank you!

jello412- Woo! Nice name choice! I love your short list, too I've thought of Ridley, but I don't like it quite as much and it reminds me of Ridley Scott, which is really a neutral association for me, it's just that I can't think Ridley without following it with Scott in my head. Also, my BFF intends to use Ripley is she ever has another girl (years in the future). I know Radley is really close to that, but Ridley is even closer. We live on opposite coasts though, so it doesn't really matter. How funny that the picture looks like your Dashiell, it looks like mine, too! But a bit more mischievous and with brown hair instead of blonde. It's exactly what I imagine my next boy to look like! Can you expand on what you mean by the word rad being dated being a good thing? What is your sons middle name, if you don't mind my asking? And, as the mother of a Dashiell, do you think Dashiell and Radley would make good brothers?
    Proud mama to two sweet boys:

Dashiell David Rowe
    and
    Flynn William Warfield

"Real babies are more difficult than ideas of babies... Or even pictures of babies."
    -James Franco

Wow, that Raffy (Raffi?) allusion brought back memories, it had been years since I thought of it! And now I think of the craft material rafia! Ha! Glad it was a good suggestion even if it can't work : D!

FYI if you didn't already try this, if you search boys' names beginning with Rad on NB, it includes Radborn (and Radborne, Radbourn, et al), Radburn, and Radcliff(e) as well as Radley and Radford (and Radical ; )). Radley is the best to my ear currently, although I kind of like Radcliff in a way I can't quite describe...I'm probably thinking of Daniel Radcliff, who's not especially positive in my eyes or anything, but maybe slightly. Or maybe it's Heathcliff from Wuthering Heights : D.

Best wishes!

When I was trying to look up Radley last night as used for a name I also found Ridley, but I prefer Radley much more than Ridley. Of the names that Jesba mentioned Radcliff(e) is the only other one that I prefer and I still like Radley ahead of that.
    Chelsea
    - Named after the place. A guy named Chelsea, who through his name became fascinated with names.

Current favorites
    Girls: Alexandra, Cambria, Catrin, Claire, Emma, Gemma, Louise, Kirsty, Sutton, Tess, Zoe

Boys: Bryn, Brit, Guy, Xavier