Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Alliteration (Is this combo really bad?)

So we just found out we are having a GIRL! We are really excited but haven’t had any luck agreeing on names. He suggested Sadie the other night and at first I said no because our last name is Swavely. But the more I think about Sadie the more I love it.

Is Sadie Swavely really bad? Her middle name will be Lorraine and I think that breaks it up a bit and its sounds nice Sadie Lorraine Swavely but I know she won’t always be using the full name, most of the time it will be Sadie Swavely.

Also, I worried that Sadie is too cutesy and more of a nickname. What do you think? The longer names I have thought of to use Sadie as a nickname for are Mercedes (which I don’t like) and Sarah (already used in the family). I really just like Sadie.

I would love to hear your opinions on the combo!

Re: Alliteration (Is this combo really bad?)

I personally like alliteration. Sadie Swavley sounds fine to me. I dont think Sadie is too nick namey at all. Every Sadie I was heard of is just Sadie, not Sarah. I dont think most people, apart from name nerds, even know that Sadie is a nn for Sarah.
    *Under Construction*

If I'm pronouncing your last name correctly, Sadie and Swavely kind of rhyme. (Is it Swavely like wave or swavely like suave?) If they do, I probably wouldn't use it. The fact that they start with the same letter is almost too much for me, but I don't really like alliteration. However, that is just me! I think people would remember her name more easily and alliteration can be darling. If you love the name, I wouldn't hesitate to use it. If you want a more formal name with the nn Sadie (although you don't have to), almost anything that starts with an S, has "sa" in it or has s, a and d, can have that nn. (Some people will disagree with me, but it's just a nn- it can be anything you want. I call my Grace Patricia, CeCe sometimes.)

Saskia
    Alexandra/ Alessandra
    Cassandra
    Sandra
    Sandrine
    Elisabetta
    Hadassah
    Isadora
    Susannah
    Lindsay
    Melisande
    Odessa
    Rosabelle/ Rosabella
    Rosamond
    Sabella
    Sabrina
    Siobhan
    Savannah
    Theresa
    Vanessa

Good luck and I hope this helps!
    My girls: Grace Patricia "Gracie Pat" & Eloise Martha "Elsie Mae"
    If we had a baby today: Moira Jane OR Desmond Walter
    Guys: Julian, Amos, Tobias, August, Silas, Peter
    Dolls: Iris, Marian, Hazel, Flora, Margo, Agnes

http://modernmonikers.wordpress.com

I'm usually a big fan of alliteration, but Sadie Swavely does seem a little rhymey to my ears. However, if it's THE name, then I don't think it's too bad. I think that Sadie can stand on its own - IMO it's no more cutesy than Miley, Kaylee, etc.

I think Sadie is a very nice name on its own, and in general I am a fan of alliteration BUT I think Sadie Swavely rhymes a little too much for me. For example, Scarlett Swavely, Sandra Swavely, Samantha Swavely or Saskia Swavely all have alliteration but don't have the same rhyming problem as Sadie Swavely.

That being said, I agree with a previous poster that if it is THE name I would go for it. To me it's much better than Peter Peters etc (I have actually met a Peter Peters and I think they are more common than we know! :lol: )
    Mama to Theodore Adler Emmett "Theo" born April 2012

Expecting baby #2 March 2015!!

*Louisa *Felicity *Gwendolen *Clementine *Rosalie *Philippa *Lavinia *Beatrix *Wren *Eugenia *Florence *Primrose
    *Percival (Percy)*Augustin (Gus) *Arthur (Ari) *Frederick (Fritz) *Dashiell (Dash) *Winston *Felix *Walter *Henry/Hendrick *Edwin *Rupert

Guilty pleasures ~Pomeline, Peregrine, Delphine, and Ferdinand