Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Tell me what you really think...

My husband and I are having a hard time picking a name for our baby girl to be born in the next few weeks (EEK!). We have a list and we each have favorites. But the ones that we seem to consistently agree on are Scout and Scarlett.

Scout is my favorite and has been since long before I was ever thinking about having babies. But now, I have reservations about using Scout as a first name. Is it serious enough to age with her? Does it cross over from unique to weird?

We will likely use Elizabeth or Frances as middle names (both family names), but that's also subject to negotiation.

So my question... What do you think of Scout as a standalone first name? Or in the alternative would it be confusing to name her Scarlett and then use a nn of Scout?

I'm an Elizabeth who goes exclusively by one of the many nicknames so I've never thought it to be that confusing to have a fn and a nn.

Re: Tell me what you really think...

I am not usually a fan of naming a baby one name and calling her another, but in this case I think it is the right thing to do. I would name your baby girl Scarlett Elizabeth or Scarlett Frances (both are lovely) and call her Scout. I don't think Scout is a great "real" first name. Scarlett is much nicer and will age well with her and would look fine on college applications and resumes some day. Scout - not so much.

I think a little Scarlett Frances nn Scout would be awesome. I feel like Scout should be kept as a NN though. To me it has always seemed to be in the realm of Buddy, Skip, and Dot: solid enough to be used, but not substantial enough to be a full name.

I agree with jadediana, Scarlett Frances nn Scout. Beautiful!
    My girls: Grace Patricia "Gracie Pat" & Eloise Martha "Elsie Mae"
    If we had a baby today: Moira Jane OR Desmond Walter
    Guys: Julian, Amos, Tobias, August, Silas, Peter
    Dolls: Iris, Marian, Hazel, Flora, Margo, Agnes

http://modernmonikers.wordpress.com

I agree with all the other posters: Scarlett with the nickname of Scout is great. I like Scarlett Frances and Scarlett Elizabeth about evenly.