Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Alliteration (Is this combo really bad?)

I'm a fan of well-done allliteration (Jessamine Jones, Anthony Alonzo, etc.) but I think it must follow certain rules. Sadie Swavely breaks nearly every one of them:
    1. Same number of syllables (Jessamine Jones sounds better than Jane Jones)
    2. Intonation in the same place (Sabine Swavely sounds better than Sadie Swavely)
    3. Same ending (both end in the long ee sound)
    4. If Swavely is pronounced like wave and not suave, it very nearly rhymes with itself because of the assonance.

Using Sarah with the nn Sadie (or any of the previous suggestions of ways to Sadie) would be my recommendation for you because it eliminates two of the problems. It may be difficult at first to explain that Sadie is a nickname for Sarah, but people will eventually get it and I definitely think it's worth it to keep the name from sounding like a cartoon. I also think Sadie is a bit youthful sounding- names like Sarah and Isadora age much better, in my opinion.
    It's not the best possible choice for your last name, but if it is the only name you could agree on and nothing comes close, and you're both okay with the alliteration, go ahead and use it as is. There's certainly worse things you could name her.

Totally agRee w daisy. Right on.

It's not the alliteration, I'm actually a fan of alliteration in most cases. It's the fact that the two names rhyme. I agree with everything Daisy said, especially the part about Sadie being too youthful, something that'll only be reinforced by a cartoon character name. Isadora or Sarah (if she'll mostly go by Sadie, I don't think it's a problem that it's in the family) nicknamed Sadie would be wonderful, though!
    cordelia ~ jessamine ~ alice ~ louisa ~ maeve ~ julia ~ eloise ~ fiona ~ genevieve
    matthias ~ william ~ henry ~ finn ~ benjamin ~ frederick ~ leander

Yea, it's pretty bad, for the reasons pp have listed -- not b/c they both start with S but b/c they both end in "eee".

But you should know that I'm not a huge Sadie fan -- I also think it feels like a nickname and not a proper name. I would have a hard time taking an adult Sadie totally seriously.

So names that could become Sadie:

Sinead
    Cassandra
    Cadence

I fully agree with daisy's (very thorough!) analysis of why this doesn't work.

What about trying to find an alternative name with a similar feel?

Names that "feel" like Sadie to me:

Lucy
    Molly
    Cecily
    Audrey
    Leonie
    Chloe
    Naomi
    Phoebe
    Libby
    Maggie
    Callie