Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: What do you think of Sonja?

Now that I think about it, Sonja pronounced with a short-o sound does seem to have outdoorsy, athletic, laid-back, slightly hippyish associations for me. However, I was pronouncing the name with a long-o sound, which somehow changes the name drastically. Pronounced that way, I think of someone who is artistic, a little exotic, serious-minded, kind of indie. Isn't that strange? How were you pronouncing the name, if I can ask?

Oh, interesting! I was thinking with a long o. I don't know about exotic for me, but the artistic/indie thing kind of blends in with the mid-century furniture (good taste in design) and outdoorsy features (can be independent on long hiking treks). Or if you meant indie like a cultural thing, yeah, to me that's overlapping with parts of hippie, at least : D. I can see serious, thinking about it some more, because of Sonia Sotomayor, but it's almost a different name with that spelling, for me. Exotic I'm just not getting, but again, maybe it's just from knowing one. Sonja with a short o...it's still pretty similar, but she's actually a little more serious to me! Maybe from an Ania I knew (who had a great sense of humor, but kept it up her sleeve mostly). All best!

My mother spells it Sonya and pronounces it with a short "o". I love the name. I can definitely see the outdoorsy, hippyish vibe as that fits my mom well - in her retirement she spends some of her time as a volunteer nature guide in the Southwestern U.S. - but she's also very grounded and was a very successful career woman, so there's that association for me too. I think it sounds just fine with Ingrid, as well!

Agree, love the spelling Sonja, and the combo with Ingrid & middle Astrid. Lovely.

Thanks for the input! Sounds like girls named Sonia/Sonja/Sonya are made for the hippy life. Sounds good to me (well, more or less). It's so fun to discover the similarities in how people perceive certain names.