Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What do you think of Sonja?

This one just popped into my head this afternoon. As of right now, I'm quite taken with it and curious about how others perceive it. I do like the Sonia spelling, but I think the Sonja spelling blends more nicely with our [fairly common] Scandinavian surname. Our other daughter is Ingrid, which makes for either a very good pairing, or a slightly pretentious, theme-y one. Just not sure. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Also, we were hoping to use my husband's grandmother's name, Astrid, as a middle. Sonja Astrid. Too much?

Re: What do you think of Sonja?

Sonja Astrid is a lovely pairing and goes well with sister Ingrid. All of them are wonderful Scandinavian names. Good luck!
    All the best,
    Mischa.

I like the name Sonja, I think it taps into all the Sophia rage right now while being different. I don't think Sonja and Ingrid are too theme-y, it just reflects your heritage. I have Scandinavian ancestry myself of course, so maybe I'm biased : D.

These are two pretty accessible Scandinavian names though. They also hit somewhat different notes - Sonja seems more mid-century bright woods, light-hearted, going outdoors in the summer to me (maybe it's the nickname Sunny?), and Ingrid is more of a scholar, sort of tying gently back to the old ways, going outside in the wintertime, you know? (It's that god's name Ing in there). Anyway, of course I don't think either of those are strong enough that people will actually have radically different expectations for the girls, it's just nice to keep them different while they're related. Ingrid and Astrid, for example might be too similar, or Ingrid and Dagmar (though that's a guilty pleasure of mine and could work), or maybe Sonja and Lena (but that's OK too).

Anyway, I think Sonja Astrid is great with sister Ingrid. If for any reason you want to honor Astrid more indirectly, you're in luck because there are a lot of names meaning star : D. My own grandmother's middle name was a similar one, and I like it but it's nms, and I plan to use maybe Esther or Tara in the middle spot one day if I'm so lucky.

Best wishes!

Thanks for the good insight. It's very helpful. I find it interesting that your perception of the name Ingrid is identical to my own, but your perception of Sonja is very different. That's good, though, because I really like how you describe Sonja! It sounds more like what typically appeals to me. Thanks again.

That is really interesting that we line up on Ingrid! And that's despite the fact that I've known one Ingrid, whose personality actually was more like the way I've described my perception of Sonja, very outdoorsy and relaxed (it didn't seem jarring...like I said, this stuff is subtle). I've known one Sonja, who kept her apartment very light colors and was very fashionable in a bit of a hippyish way, although I wouldn't say light-hearted or outdoorsy. She might have influenced my perception of a bit (and she did go by nn Sunny), but I'm not sure, I think it was more coincidence since the pieces that didn't match stay with me despite her. Curious to hear your perception of the name if you want to share, since it's different from mine. Glad to hear mine was one you liked!