Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Irish names for dark haired babies?

I am of Irish decent, last name Riney. I have very dark, almost black hair and so does my husband so we are guessing that's what our baby will have too.
    I wanted a name that either means dark haired or dark or just sounds like it belongs to a dark haired baby.
    We don't know the gender yet so please leave suggestions for both genders!
    I don't want anything too strange.
    thank you so much for your help!

Re: Irish names for dark haired babies?

I believe this is what Kieran means (my middle name).

Although I've always thought of it as a boy name, I believe (based on an earlier thread this week) that girls are using it too now.

Good luck,

Chels'
    Chelsea
    - Named after the place. A guy named Chelsea, who through his name became fascinated with names.

Current favorites
    Girls: Alexandra, Cambria, Catrin, Claire, Emma, Gemma, Louise, Kirsty, Sutton, Tess, Zoe

Boys: Bryn, Brit, Guy, Xavier

Some searching and thinking leads me too the following. I've bolded my favorites here. Best wishes!

More for boys...
    Donovan, Duncan, Kieran/Ciaran/Kiaran, Kerwin

More uni
    Carey/Cary/Kerry (probably on the feminine side)
    Sullivan (probably more on the masculine side)

More for girls
    Keira

If you look to other traditions there are more! There are probably more Irish ones too but that's what I found after a little looking that was still very "accessible" since that seemed important. Best wishes!

Boys Names for Dark-Haired Child
    Ciaran / Kieran
    Donovan
    Doyle
    Sullivan
    Gilroy

Girls Names for Dark-Haired Child
    Darcy (unisex)
    Ciara
    All the best,
    Mischa.

For something really out-of-the-ordinary, what about Dubheasa (pr. "Duvessa"). It means "Dark lady of the waterfall", which is quite poetic! Bran (for boys) or Brannagh (for girls) is derived from "raven", so could suit a child with black hair. Donncha or Donagh (pr. as "Dun-ah") is a boys' name meaning "brown", while Dunlaith ("Dunn-la") for girls means "brown princess". Dubhlainn or Doolin means "black sword". Oran or Odhran can mean "dark-haired" or "otter". Oisin (for boys - pr. "Ush-een") and Damhnait (for girls - pr. "Dav-net") mean "deer" or "fawn", so could be a way to reference a brunette baby.

www.babynamesofireland.com has a decent list, with meanings and a "listen" function, so you can get an ear for the pronunciation.

Best of luck!