Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Re: Was your name too popular/too uncommon growing up?

I saw a Genny yesterday. I kept wanting to say her name with a hard G sound but I was sure that had to be wrong.

Also, a lot of people can't spell Chelsea either.
    Chelsea
    - Named after the place. A guy named Chelsea, who through his name became fascinated with names.

Current favorites
    Girls: Alexandra, Cambria, Catrin, Claire, Emma, Gemma, Louise, Kirsty, Sutton, Tess, Zoe

Boys: Bryn, Brit, Guy, Xavier

@Jesba: Yeah, that's probably it. I mostly see "Nathaly" at work, and my boss and many coworkers are Hispanic. So, yeah, I can see why now.
    ~Favorites of the moment~

Girls: Sonya, Caroline, Sakura, Carmilla, Terra
    Boys: Conrad, Fain, Marcelo, Serge, Isidoro

Vote on my name list!

My name is Sarah, I like the sound of my name but I had a few problems with it.
    1) I was a tomboy and hated that it meant princess.
    2) I have to say with an H.
    3) My maiden name was very common there was someone with the same first and last name but at least my middle name was unique.

I'm just now realizing that I'm very satisfied with my name. It was #272 the year I was born, which I think is a good place to be in terms of popularity. There's one other Rosa in my grade (and we happen to be friends) but I don't really mind occasionally going by my last initial. And it's definitely not as bad as the Emilys, Madelines, Hannahs, and Emmas which overpopulate my school. On the other hand, I don't think I'd like having a really obscure name-- I like that my name is familiar to everyone but not overused, and doesn't need an accompanying explanation at every introduction. I almost never get pronunciation/spelling issues, either, which is good because I'm the kind of person who gets extremely annoyed when things are spelled wrong. Another plus is that my name is usable in a number of different languages-- it's pretty universal, as far as names go. My only issue is the flow with my middle name, and the slight cheese factor (two floral names in a row). But I like it on its own and it's definitely not filler, which is good.
    cordelia ~ jessamine ~ alice ~ louisa ~ maeve ~ julia ~ eloise ~ fiona ~ genevieve
    matthias ~ william ~ henry ~ finn ~ benjamin ~ frederick ~ leander

My name is Linda and I was born in 1985. As I kid it wasn't that my name was too uncommon, it's that I tired of hearing, "My mom's name is Linda!" or, "My aunt's name is Linda!" I didn't like my name growing up, and even now I'm typically mistaken for Lindsey, since people tend to deem that more likely for someone my age.

I've grown to like my name more, as I've found it travels well with me internationally, and it works for me as a young professional--I think some of the people with whom I communicate via e-mail assume I'm a few decades older! I guess I am glad that I didn't get lost in a sea of Rachels, Sarahs, Jessicas, etc.