Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Freakonomics Prediction for 2015

Below is a list I found from the authors of Freakonomics with their prediction for the most popular baby names for 2015. What do you think? I am alarmed because one of my daughter's names is on there and I SO do not want her name to be top 25!!
    Boy's Names Girl's Names
    Aidan Annika
    Aldo Ansley
    Anderson Ava
    Ansel Avery
    Asher Aviva
    Beckett Clementine
    Bennett Eleanora
    Carter Ella
    Cooper Emma
    Finnegan Fiona
    Harper Flannery
    Jackson Grace
    Johan Isabel
    Keyon Kate
    Liam Lara
    Maximilian Linden
    McGregor Maeve
    Oliver Marie-Claire
    Reagan Maya
    Sander Philippa
    Sumner Phoebe
    Will Quinn
    Sophie
    Waverly

Re: Freakonomics Prediction for 2015

They are mistaken. Names don't move that fast. If you look at the top 10 names in 2004, they are quite similar to the top 10 names in 2009.

Absolutely not. Wrong, wrong, wrong. Even the top names for 1999 are pretty similar to those on the 2009 list. Some of these are plausible, like Liam, probable, like Ava, or shoe-ins if you add in the variants and similar names, like Aidan. Most are way off though. Clementine and Johan? Seriously? No way.

I think you should stop fretting over the popularity of your daughter's name. It could rise on it's own, which really isn't bad because her name will be ahead of the curve- she'll seem younger than she is and all the kids who share her name will be in different classes in school. Or a huge celebrity could use the name tomorrow causing an explosion in popularity. It could happen with any name and there's no way at all to predict it. That's why you can't worry too much about popularity- it's totally unpredictable and it's really not the worst thing in the world for a name to be popular. It can even make life easier in many ways.

Are you sure? That's only 4 years away!

I'm a bit upset about a few though. I know 2 beautiful little girls named Philippa and Lara, and they are so uncommon it's weird for me to imagine them on anyone else.

Waverly is an interesting one.
    olivia, seventeen, obsessively maternal.

★ close to my heart / future darlings; ★
    Estella - Oona - Margaret - Imogen - Billie - Eilidh - Jemima
    Emmett - Eoghan - Wilf - Alec - Nicholas - William - Hugh

I call shenanigans on this! Some are plausible but Sumner and Waverly? I doubt it.
    Mommy to Hermione Grace (02*23*2011)
    Future Sibs:
    Peter Halen ~ Isolde Jane ~ Conrad Gray ~ Rowena Claire ~ Edmund North ~ Beatrix Rose ~ Miles Xavier