Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Rename me!

Rename me!

Hey there. First time poster, long time lurker. Nice to finally join in the Nameberry community!

To skip right to the point, my name is Mona Jessica. It's perfectly understandable if you cringed away from your computer; I shudder a bit typing it. I've spent years receiving strange looks and constant teasing over my name, to the point that I feel completely disassociated from it. I'm off to college in six months -- the plan is to be comfortable introducing myself as my new name by the time I take my first step on the grounds. Doable? Hopefully.

Yesterday I sat down with my mother and told her my intentions. Her reaction was completely unexpected -- she told me she supported me completely and admitted to regretting the choice. I must be honest: I am extremely excited about dropping Mona Jessica like it's hot (or a bad habit), and even more so now that my mom is with me.

I think telling you all a bit about myself would be relevant and helpful if you want to suggest a few names, so bear with me. I am 5'10", pale, and athletic, my hair is dark auburn, and my eyes are blue-green. I've been described as quirky. I believe this is a euphemism for nerd. I love history and honestly enjoy school. I often play pranks on the unsuspecting. Buffy is win, physics is win, and road trips are win. Hiking, rafting, kayaking -- all of these are win. I am also very eloquent, as you can surely tell.

I like vintage-quirky-strong names. Distinctly feminine but not overly so; familiar but not common -- you get the gist. I'm currently a bit too preoccupied rejoicing to provide decent examples, so hopefully the experts (i.e. you guys) can guide me in the right direction.

Strangely, I feel like I'm asking so much of you guys. If this is what naming a baby is like, you're all crazy (said fondly).

Thank you so much to anyone who reads/replies!

Re: Rename me!

Hi Cherry, welcome to Nameberry! I didn't cringe when I read your name Mona Jessica. I was surprised at the combination however. It wouldn't be a combo I would even consider. Mona is a nn for Simona or the Shakespearean name Desdemona in my books. It takes courage to rename yourself, so hats off to you! It's great that your Mother supports you too! Anyway, I'm not sure regarding what style of names you like but by your self-description (quirky, athletic, bookish etc...), I would suggest the following names from a variety of styles for you. Of course, it depends on how they flow with your unknown surname. I hope one strikes a chord! Good luck in renaming yourself and do let us know your final decision. Take care!
    Vintage/Strong/Quirky Names
    Augusta
    Ada
    Maude
    Felicity
    Scarlett
    Margot
    Zelda
    Sylvia
    Tallulah
    Juno
    Larkin (for that Irish look you have - auburn hair and greenish eyes)
    Rowena
    Semele
    Davina
    Bronwen
    Radclyffe
    Sequoia
    Ruby
    Genevieve
    Electra
    Romilly
    Tierney
    Viridis
    Nimue
    Philippa
    Paige
    Sybil
    Arcadia
    Sabrina
    Penelope
    Isadora
    Olympia
    Finola
    Josephine
    Calliope
    Thalia
    Allegra
    Magnolia
    Normandy
    Maxima
    Cressida
    Elodie
    Ariadne
    Gwendolyn
    Iris
    Garnet
    Haidee
    Indigo
    Callisto
    Damaris
    Bernadette
    Sonia
    Cecily
    Ione
    Edwina
    Flannery
    Adair
    Briony
    Delphine
    Thora
    Berenice
    Zara
    Hermione
    Meredith
    Arden
    Circe
    Maeve
    All the best,
    Mischa.

Hi Cherry! I would say from your description you sound like one of these names:

Prudence
    Una
    Sheila(Shee- la)
    Ava( Ah- va)
    Gemma
    Nova

Hope these help.
    A twin hoping for twins

I personally love the name Ramona. It's distinctively unique, strongly feminine, and just a bit quirky. Would you ever consider using Ramona--one of the origins of your name? It would be a great way to honor your mother's original choice. Or do you dislike all forms of this name?

I agree Jessica doesn't work well as a middle name. Perhaps you would like some of these combinations:

Ramona Beatrice
    Ramona Claire
    Ramona Genevieve
    Ramona Isabel

Some J middle names, to keep your original initials:

Ramona Jade
    Ramona Jocelyn
    Ramona Julianne
    Ramona Juno

Ramona Sage (both names mean wise)
    Ramona Violet

If you don't like Ramona . . . Sorry.

Thanks for the replies!

mischa: I could see myself as: Ada, Scarlett, Ruby, Iris, Adair, Maeve, and Juno. I like a few others (My dogs are named Margot, Sonia, and Penelope (Penny)! Weird.) like Genevieve, Olympia, Cressida, and Josephine as well. Berenice is my great-grandmother's name.

jls: Love Una and Gemma! I can't shake the Australian association with Sheila, but I also like it.

kgcg: I honestly dislike all forms of Mona, except for maybe Desdemona, which I don't think I could carry (and I find the 'demon' part distracting). Beatrice is my grandmother's name, though! I also like Jade.