Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ursula

I went to primary school (not sure what you call it in the US - ages 5-12) with a girl called Ursula in the 90's. The cartoon was very popular but I can't remember her being teased. It didn't seem to be an issue! I still know her - she's well adjusted!

Ursula's not at all my style. However, if you love it, go for it. I don't see the cartoon being that big of an issue... I'd just pair it with a usable mn, so that if it turns out to be a problematic name, she has something to fall back on.
    Emiliana Pari Debuts July 2014
    Soren Pasha, Caspian Bardia, Raphael
    Camellia, Valentina

I absolutely adore Ursula, AND I know two under the age of 6. Both were named for LeGuin, who is my foremost association with the name.

Matilda Sailor or Faye Matilda | Sylvie Winifred or Simon Atlas | Atlas Dov or Alice Violetta | Lucien Wilde or Lucinda Jane | Jane Lucinda or Jack Mariner | Marlowe Charles or Roscoe Thomas | Charles ' Charlie' Wallace or Marigold 'Maggie' Wynn | Eloise Lily or Elliot Darwin | Iris Cordelia or Thea Marina | Jasper Augustus or Juniper 'June' Lovelace | Julian Felix or Judah 'Jude' Reeve

Just a grad student dreaming ahead...

So funny that you brought this name up - I was just thinking of adding it to my list. I think the cartoon association is negligible honestly, and I associate the name much more strongly with author Ursula K. Leguin
    Baby Sequoia Orion due October 2014!
    Other favorites: Cytheria, Arcadia, Seraphina, Caspian, Gideon

Ursula nn Ursa is wonderful.

-oh, and Ladies in Lavender is a sweet movie and another positive Ursula association. I think as long as you acquaint your children with positive Ursulas, then they will see the name as lovely and special, whether or not other children bring up The Little Mermaid. BUT, I was that kid that watched the movie and bit grapes in half to put on my lips at the same time Ursula was singing her song and getting ready. I was kinda weird.
    Last edited by cygnus; April 30th, 2013 at 09:34 AM.
    Mama to my dear little bear <3