Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

thoughts on the name Greta.

hi. I have posted here before about naming our daughter Greta. I want to understand why some people say it is too harsh. The last thing I want to do is give a sweet little girl a harsh name. When I say Greta, the T sound is more of a D sound. I understand that Americans say it differently from Europeans. Is this why some people think it is harsh? should I reconsider? I just can't seem to get over the fact that people think it is harsh. not liking it is one thing, there are names that I do not like, but harsh....

help nameberries...talk me out of it if you think I am making a mistake.

Re: thoughts on the name Greta.

It's NMS (I like Margo and Petra way better, which I consider a similar style but still NMS), but I don't think it's harsh. It's a perfectly fine name, but short for my taste. I'm American, for reference's sake; in a British accent it may not sound good, for all I know.

I like it! If you like it, use it! I can't think of anything wrong with it.

I personally love Greta!! I love Gretchen too though! I've mentioned Greta a few times for our little one on the way but people say it sounds like a smelly old lady But, what do they know?! Once she's named, people will love her!

Greta is a perfectly lovely name. Sure, it's a little harsh-sounding compared to current names like Lily, Emma, or Isla, but there's really nothing wrong with that. Being 'harsh' isn't necessarily a bad thing; I think strength and distinction also come with a name like that.

Personally, I would use Margaret nicknamed Greta, but I feel like Greta is one of those nicknames that can stand fairly well on its own if you're not a Margaret fan. Either way, I think you're overthinking it-- Greta is lovely, and you love it, so use it!
    cordelia ~ jessamine ~ alice ~ louisa ~ maeve ~ julia ~ eloise ~ fiona ~ genevieve
    matthias ~ william ~ henry ~ finn ~ benjamin ~ frederick ~ leander