Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Michael??

Re: Michael??

Wow, I'm kinda surprised by how put-off people are by this name! It's interesting. Yes, most likely there will be other Michaels in his school or even his classroom, but is that the end of the world? I didn't personally have to go by my last initial in school, but for those here that did -- did it really hurt you in some way? (that lasted beyond the 4th grade?) Sorry, I'm being a bit snarky, but just putting it into perspective. Being a name-nerd doesn't mean you automatically have to dismiss a popular name right? If it's a name you love, use it. Pair it with a rock-star, unique, or slightly offbeat mn if you need to have more creativity in naming.

I may be biased because I know a few great Michaels and Mikes though.
    Wife to one great guy
    Mama to six pretty ladies: Scarlett (12), Penelope (9), Alice (3), Fiona (3), Lucille (16 mo.) & Coraline (16 mo.)

& 4 angels gone before us: Christian (7 wks), Amos (6 wks), Naomi (16.5 wks), & Hosanna (6 wks)

~We fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.~

Michael is a strong, biblical classic. Is it the most exciting, breathtaking name out there? No. But will it get your son teased, will it be spelled wrong constantly, will people question your sanity if you use it? Of course not. It's been used for decades for a reason. It's handsome and can fit any type of guy. I'm not huge on the nickname Mike, maybe because I went to school with tons of them. But I think Mikey is cute, and Mickey is really adorable and vintage. Mick could be a cute nickname as well. An interesting spin on the name could be Micah (MY-kuh), another strong biblical name. I went to school with a Micah and always loved his name. Good luck!
    "Four be the things I'd have been better without: love, curiosity, freckles and doubt." -Dorothy Parker

Yeah, it's nice that some of us know a few nice Michaels but honestly who doesn't know a Michael or six Michaels? Literally for decades it's been the #1 name. It's the post-modern John or male Mary of our time. "Not that Michael but the taller/muscular/richer/(insert adjective here) Michael." Take your individual great Michaels that you know aside and see the name for what it truly is: a biblical classic that's been overused to the point of decades of redundancy, uninspired thinking, and overall indifference. You already have a son named Connor. Picture it if his name was Christopher or even Charles and give it that bland spin that Michael gives off. You can seriously do better than the #1 for the last of the 20th century.
    Eddie (to Saffy): Oh, darling, Mummy loves you. On the day you were born I *knew* I wanted you...
    Patsy: However, the day after...

@crunchymama- I'm with you on not knocking a name because of popularity alone, but really Michael is just so overdone it's lost any appeal it had. It's been in the top 10 for sixty-seven years, and never out of the top 100. Sure, it's a beautiful, enduringly classic name, but really? Any name that was #1 for over forty years will become boring. Michael is sort of the new John, but at this point John is a far more unique name, at least for a baby. Jennifer at its peak may have had a higher percentage of babies with the name born, but over time there has been way more Michaels. Just the logistics of tens of millions of people in our increasingly expanding world with the same name is crazy to think about. My first name is only around the three hundreds and my last name is in the 5000's in the US and there's still four other people with the same name as me on facebook-I even had to tell my friends which one was me in the beginning. One of my friends, a Gregory with a common last name, actually missed a flight once because his name (a different person with the same name, I should say) was on the no-fly list. It all got sorted out pretty quickly, but it was pretty inconvenient at the time. Imagine being a Michael Anderson- those situations would be your whole life!

I realize that may come across as a little harsh, and I really don't think it's a bad thing to name your kid Michael, I just wanted to express my opinion as clearly as possible. Michael is a name that I fear will actually cause endless beauraucratic confusion, not one that I think is stylistically bad. I wouldn't want to experience those headaches on a regular basis and I can't imagine anyone else would either.

Thanks Daisy! the "no fly" example is actually a good one to consider. I think any issues being the 3rd Michael in your class cause as a kid are probably VERY insignificant. However, issues you may have as an adult can severly impact your life and I didn't consider that. Thanks for bringing that up. The only thing I can say to that is that technology is forever moving forward and I anticipate there will soon be more ways you can "prove" your identity in these situations. You know what I mean? In 20 years, we could be getting some sort of instant fingerprint or DNA scan whenever we enter an airport! lol

I suppose missing a flight really is not the worst thing in the world either because all of those measures are in place for our security.
    Wife to one great guy
    Mama to six pretty ladies: Scarlett (12), Penelope (9), Alice (3), Fiona (3), Lucille (16 mo.) & Coraline (16 mo.)

& 4 angels gone before us: Christian (7 wks), Amos (6 wks), Naomi (16.5 wks), & Hosanna (6 wks)

~We fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.~