Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Current Loc: Cookham, UK. Hometown: Cape Town - South Africa

Re: Emmeline pronunciation

Just to give you some more of an international view point, I am from South Africa with British descent and I would personally pr. it the French way of Emmaleen. I agree with the pp. go with what YOU like! Your DD will eventually introduce herself the way she prefers and you wont need to correct people.
    ?Hazelet? UPDATED!Please VOTE!Thanks! ? http://www.behindthename.com/pnl/114298 ? http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9794036 ?baby/child photographer London,UK: www.tandykerry.com ?baby/child photographer San Francisco,CA: www.emmawilliamsphotography.com ?

I pronounce it as: 'Emma-line'; actually, there is a very pretty song called 'Emeline', done by the artist Ben Folds.
    He too pronounces the name 'Emma-line' in the song. You should check it out!!
    In current favor of...:
    Boys: Ian, John, Lincoln
    Girls: Marin, Lena, Mareina

I would say Emma-line (like Caroline). I hail from English-speaking Canada. I wasn't even aware until recently that English speakers ever use Emma-leen.

Also--for a bit of unsollicited opinion--I prefer the Emeline spelling of this name.
    *Mother to twins Charles and Samuel*

Hi! This is the name we are using too and we have it down to Line or Leen (also heard Leine ...pronounced len....like the correct madeleine pronunciation)
    We keep going back and forward but I realised that saying Leen sounds a lot like Emily, and as this name is so common I think that's the most liket mistake people will make, so now I am tending towards Line.

I figure I like both so if she prefers one when shes older she's welcome to change it!

I'm from the good old USA, haha. It's funny, everyone's saying how they're from fancy places like England and Africa and Canada, etc. I've never even been outside the US, but my mom was born in the French-speaking part of Canada. Quebec...? Sorry, I'm babbling. I like the Emmeline way (rhyming with Caroline) and the Emma-lyn way is a runner-up. Not crazy about Emma-leen. It sounds kind of weird coming out of my mouth. I think you should name her whatever pronounciation you like better, and not worry so much about how others will think of the pronounciation.
    (\_/)
    (o.o)
    (> <) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

clivehills