Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Lauren, Molly, Caroline? Due any day...please help?

We are expecting our third child and first girl on October 18. I will be 38 weeks tomorrow and both of my boys were born just after 38 weeks, so I have waited way too long to ask for advice! We chose our boys' names weeks before they were born, but for some reason it's much harder for us to decide on a girl's name.

Our last name is Sloan, and our boys are Grant William and Andrew Dean (he goes by Drew). Our goal is to choose a name that everyone knows, but isn't in the top 30 or 40 (at least) in popularity. There are a ton of girls' names that I really like, but it seems like each one has a certain drawback. So we just can't seem to make a final decision!

A few of our favorites, and the reason why I hesitate about each one:

Lauren: I've always loved this name. But is it a little outdated, since so many girls born in the late 80s/early 90s were named Lauren? It's still in the 40s (it was #46 last year according the the SSA website), but it's fallen fast in recent years. I don't want to choose a name that's quickly going out of style!

Molly: Another long-time favorite. But is it a name that people are only naming their dogs these days??

Caroline: Will people constantly mispronounce it as "Carolyn?" And it was #87 in popularity last year, but it feels more popular than that. Two friends have told me they've recently seen a lot of babies named Caroline.

Madeline: I'm starting to steer away from this one, because I really don't want her to be yet another Maddie. But I still think it would be cute as a middle name with Molly. We live in Houston, where Madeline actually isn't as common as in other areas. But there are a ton of Madisons here, and I'm so sick of hearing "Maddie" everywhere!

Some others that we like:

Jenna
    Meredith
    Megan
    Claire (as a middle name.....maybe with Caroline?)
    Susanna(h)

I love alliteration, which is why I like Molly Madeline or Caroline Claire. I also like Lauren Caroline, but does Lauren Caroline Sloan sound right, with each name ending in an "n" sound? It doesn't bother me but my husband thinks it won't work. He prefers Lauren Claire (which I just think is a little boring).

Thanks in advance for any opinions and advice!!

Alissa

Re: Lauren, Molly, Caroline? Due any day...please help?

I like Lauren. I think it's a timeless and beautiful name. I too live in Houston and don't hear too many Laurens running around. You're right though about all of the Madisons running around. I used to love that name, but now it's like fingers on a chalkboard for me. Seems like every 3rd little girl I meet is named Madison :twisted: .

Yay Alissa!
    Ok...I will start out by saying I'm not a name wizard like some other berries on here, but I can offer you my un-expert opinions.

Lauren: yes, I feel this is a tad dated (sorry, Lemon!), but I think it has a degree of classic-ness to it. Maybe I'm totally wrong, but I do think of the 80s when I hear this name.

Molly: I agree with you exactly on this one too...it seems more of a dog's name, and I actually just had this conversation with a cashier last week! Her friend is pregnant and liked the name Molly, but the cashier's dog's name is Molly. I think it's also a little nick-namey for a first name, personally.

Caroline: as far as pronunciation issues, you may get some, but as lots of ppl here have pointed out, people will learn which pronunciation to use. I think it'd be annoying too, but Caro-line vs. Caro-lynn isn't that huge of a difference, and I think most ppl would pronounce it -line, anyway. I think you'll get pronunciation issues no matter what you choose-our first daughter's name is Gabriella and people pronounce it Gay-briella, or say Gabriel, Gabrielle, etc. I didn't even think pronunciation would be an issue with her name when we chose it, but apparently, it is! Anyway, I think if that's your only downside to this one, you should use it if you love it. Oh and I don't think popularity would be an issue with this one, at all...I think it may be coincidence your friends know some recent Carolines...I haven't heard of any lately, and I've been scouring birth announcements. I also work at a family practice clinic and we haven't had any new babes named Caroline, and I can't think of any within the past few years, either.

I also like Meredith, and while I'm not personally a fan of Susannah, I know a lot of berries on here like the name. As far as Madeleine, you and I are in total agreement on that one, so I'm afraid I can't do much to console you there!!

Are you taking suggestions at all? Or do you guys want to choose between these?

Ha, Erica, it's okay. I didn't pick it!

Anyway, yea, my name is Lauren, and I was born in 1990. Obviously, people have continued to name their daughters Lauren, but I'm going to say that it isn't a particularly original or inventive choice anymore - it really isn't a fresh name. I guess that means it's dated. Oh, well. Also, for you, I just don't love the sound of Lauren Sloan...

Caroline is beautiful. I've never met a Caroline who was called Carolyn, considering it is a pretty established name with a single pronunciation. But, then again, I seem to remember that the mom on Little House in the Prairie was named Caroline, but everyone called her Carolyn. It's the same for Madeline. I've always said that with a -line ending, as it was pronounced in the books, and I've pronounced Madeleine and Madelyn with the -lyn ending.

Molly, I think, is perfect. I know a few dogs named Molly, but then again, people name dogs Sophie and Charlie, too, and I don't think we'd say those are "dog names." Also, there was recently a celebrity baby named Molly (Molly June, daughter of Amanda Peet), so I think the name will get some more [human] publicity. I honestly think this name would be ideal for you. It sounds the best with Sloan because it doesn't end in an N sound, and it has that classic feel that both Grant and Andrew have, but it doesn't feel too serious. Grant, Drew, and Molly are ideal!

So, you like alliteration? That's great! You've got some options if you choose to go with Molly, then. Molly Megan Sloan is cute, Molly Meredith Sloan is even better, but Molly Madeline Sloan is perhaps the most classic of all. Do any of those appeal to you? Otherwise, I think something like Molly Sarah Sloan would be pretty, or even Molly Clara Sloan, since you like Claire...

Lemon :-)
    "Names, once they are in common use, quickly become mere sounds, their etymology being buried, like so many of the earth's marvels, beneath the dust of habit." - Salman Rushdie

Boy Combinations: Archer Solomon James, Ronan Charles Bennett, Everett Hawthorn Thomas
    Girl Combinations: Phoebe Marietta Pearl, Clara Daphne Eloise
    Other Favorites: Eliza (Eliza Wren), Juliet, Rosanna, Thea, Johanna, Jude

I think Lauren is cute, but like you said, declining in popularity. If you really like Molly, go for it! It's cute and timeless. Caroline is also sweet but if you know too many.... I think Meredith and Susannah are very cute and not so popular. Good luck!
    Abigail, Beatrice, Cecily, Elise, Hazel, India, Matilda, Scarlett, Svea

Isaac, James, Jasper, Julius, Lyle, Nicholas, Sebastian, Thomas, William