Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: Does anyone like Mildred?

Millicent has a softer sound than Mildred in my opinion. It's definitely the ending for me. Whereas Mildred is abrupt, Millicent has a gentler feel. Mildred reminds me of names like Gladys, Eunice, Ethel and Beulah - all of which are not ready for a comeback (I hope)!
    All the best,
    Mischa.

I may come around to Millicent, but it reminds me of "Militant"
    the "dread" ending is a little frumpy, I would agree there. I think a little girl could pull it off though.

I should have said in my original message that I am completely OK if you comment and bash the name. I did say I feel almost delusional about the name and maybe eventually all the negative comments will sink in. They obviously do because I have 4 girls none named Mildred I just keep coming back to it and feel like I need to say yes or no for good!
    Wife to one great guy
    Mama to six pretty ladies: Scarlett (12), Penelope (9), Alice (3), Fiona (3), Lucille (16 mo.) & Coraline (16 mo.)

& 4 angels gone before us: Christian (7 wks), Amos (6 wks), Naomi (16.5 wks), & Hosanna (6 wks)

~We fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.~

I actually like it. I think it's cute. Maude, on the otherhand, horrid. I do like Millicent as well.

Not really, as someone else said the dread part does it in for me. Plus Millicent is much better.
    Mother of Theodore Atlas and Katherine Juno
    Teddy and Kitty

http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9783054

Ha! I was right, Theresa! Mildred's a bit of a dud. No, I'm kidding - sort of...

Mila, Milena, and Milla are better options with more "commercial" appeal than Mildred, I think. Oh, and Millicent, but I think these others are a bit more fun. Milena has a great meaning, too - "love, warmth, grace."
    "Names, once they are in common use, quickly become mere sounds, their etymology being buried, like so many of the earth's marvels, beneath the dust of habit." - Salman Rushdie

Boy Combinations: Archer Solomon James, Ronan Charles Bennett, Everett Hawthorn Thomas
    Girl Combinations: Phoebe Marietta Pearl, Clara Daphne Eloise
    Other Favorites: Eliza (Eliza Wren), Juliet, Rosanna, Thea, Johanna, Jude