Names Searched Right Now:
Page 19 of 52 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 ... LastLast

Re: Names that bug you, or names you're sick of hearing?

I agree with the -ayden names, the use of male names for female children, the god-awful creatif spelllllinnggkxys (the kxy is "silent"), and all versions of XX-son names where XX-son isn't a son of XX. Also, I want to echo the comment on the name "Jasper." I have nightmares over that horror in Texas, and it seems too fresh for Americans to have gotten past it.

Other Names that bug me:
    Bronwyn (really, Americans??? this is not a pretty sound)
    Ophelia (she committed suicide)
    Regan/Reagan (an ungrateful, murderous daughter)
    Pearl
    Names ending in double-e (Rilee, Brandee, Sandee...)
    Braxton (I always wonder, did the mother think it was false labor until the baby showed up? Is this an ironic name?)

While there are SOOOOO many Sophies/Sophias, Emmas/Ellas/Ellies/Elles, Olivias, Johns/Jacks, Williams, Henrys, etc., I think these names are popular because we value their meanings or associations, not necessarily because the parents were "lazy" or "uncreative." Who wouldn't want their daughter to have a name embodying "knowledge" or "wisdom?" Who wouldn't want their child named after an important king, or writer, or saint? Though I don't want my children to have to use a last initial throughout school to be distinguished from others in their class with the same [sounding] first name, I do remember growing up I always wanted to change my name to whatever the most popular name in my class was (Kristy, Katie, Jayme, etc.) to "fit in" better... What's impressive to me is a name that was chosen for a good reason--whether the meaning of the word itself, or an homage to a loved one (real or fictional). The only names that grate are those that sound like the parents are trying too hard.

My dislikes

The E names with their cutsey nns of Ellie, Emmie, Evie, etc.
    Charlie, Harry, Alfie, Albie, etc - old man style nicknames used as proper names, big trend in the UK
    Maisy, Daisy, Boo, Pixie, etc- super sugary cute names
    Jack - too popular and so bland
    Isabella, Grace, Rose, Lily and other the other super popular girls names used as filler middle names as well.

I named my son Aidan - before I was a name nerd, but I still love his name. Though I do wince whenever I hear of another.
    Mum to Mousie, Foo, Bumptious and Pudding.

Oh wow do I hate any girls name (or boy name actually) starting with Mack! Mackena, mackenzie, etc. Just awful!
    I also hate Hope, Joy, Faith, Grace. Those kinda names drive me insance! My daughter knows a Faith and she is a brat!
    Also I dont like any X or Z names. They seem so made-up to me. (Zander, Xander, etc)
    Oh and Jackson, Jaxon, etc is totally overdone as well!

~ Mommy to Callum Rhys and Jack William ~

Girls: Eleanor, Ruby, Louisa, Jane, Sylvie, Alice, Iris
    Boys: Edmund, Leland, Rowan, Beckett, Miles, Samuel

Rose (always seemed so cliché and trying-to-be-poetic)
    Candi/Candee/Kandee/any other spellings (sounds like stripper names)
    Regan/Reagan (always seemed so snooty)