Results 1 to 5 of 287
January 27th, 2011 11:18 PM #1Senior Member
- Join Date
- Aug 2010
Names that bug you, or names you're sick of hearing?
I'm getting to the point where if I meet another girl named Grace I'm going to pull my hair out. It's perfectly wonderful name, but I swear I hear it everywhere! And if her name isn't Grace or Gracie, then he middle name is Grace. I actually had someone tell me they liked that we named our daughter Katherine, but they would have named her Katherine Grace. :shock:
Does anyone else get this way about a specific name?Mother of Theodore Atlas and Katherine Juno
Teddy and Kitty
October 16th, 2011 04:13 PM #3
Another of my friends just had a little girl and named her Eliza.
This is literally the fourth Eliza in the last year or two who has been born in my close circle of friends.
Then add a little Eliza in every Supermarket/shopping centre I have been in for the past few months.
I never thought I would get so sick of hearing a name which I used to like so much!mum to the lovely Harriet Katia (10) Beatrix Liv (6) and Cordelia Joyce (4) and Lionel Rafferty (1 whole year already)
October 17th, 2011 02:00 PM #5
All the Ayden names and Mc names are annoying I agree. However, even being a sunday school teacher I dont hear Grace or Sophie very much at all, and Rose is one I hear almost never and would love for a middle name of a girl (honoring a great aunt)
the only name ending in -son I like is Jason (my nephew) he is 13 and usually the one one in his classes.
Jack is the name of a 4 year old nephew, I never heard the name anywhere until he was born, now its everywhere.
I went to school with 6 Nicoles, it was just too confusing and too much...I like unique names but I also have sworn my whole life if I have children they will be able to find their names on things like pencils and such. I grew up with the name Jeannie (im 26) and the only other 2 I knew with my name were in their 70's (one being a great aunt i was named for.) I can not find my name on anything, and have always hated that I have to special order everything.
October 20th, 2011 10:28 AM #7Senior Member
- Join Date
- Apr 2011
I am a Jessica, so I know what it was like going through school in the early 90's with half a dozen others.
My name pet peeves:
1. Old lady names: I've never gotten on board with naming children things like Olga, Helga, Gertrude, etc. The ones that just sound blatantly old. Obviously, there are some older names that aren't that bad (Margaret, Madeline...), but the ones that just automatically make me picture a white haired lady knitting on her porch are just out for me.
2. Names that are so creative that they don't make sense: I get that you don't want your kid to be one of 10 Grace's or Brianna's, but names that almost look like the parents were so concerned about being unique, that they just picked the most out there name bug me.
3. Overly creative spellings: I don't have a problem with the occasional added letter (Zoie, Kahlen, etc.), but ones that are unpronounceable and even worse to try and spell are just atrocious.
4. Names that are blatantly not meant for people: Case and point: Kate Hudson's son "Bingham". Bingham is a name...Bing is not. Bing is an internet search engine.
5. Names that I just don't like for random reasons: Clementine, Fiona, Emily, Britney, Harriet, Daphne, Claude...
Just to touch on what some other have said: I'm not really fed up with the popular names, simply because where I live, I haven't come across that many. I work in an elementary school, and the only names I have more than one of are Brianna, Mia/Meya/Mya and Kyle. I only have one Grace, one Isabelle, one Lily, one Jacob. I don't have any Ella's or Olivia's, or Ava's - so those overly popular names don't seem so overused to me. I would still be okay using Ella for my child. I also only have one Aiden, and NO Jayden/Hayden/Caden/Brayden, so again, I wouldn't feel bad using the name Jayden for a child because it's not overused in my area.Top 10 Girls -- Ella ~ Haven ~ Jovie ~ Natalie ~ Lucia ~ Aubrey ~ Willa ~ Tais ~ Auden ~ Hannahi
Top 10 Boys -- Oliver ~ Micah ~ Levi ~ Elliot ~ Wyatt ~ Roman ~ West ~ Jude ~ Elijah ~ Jackson
October 21st, 2011 02:00 PM #9
CRE8IVE SPELLING - Kierzdyn, Klowi, Alexyss why? Your child still has the same name as other children but nobody will ever be able to spell their name correctly.
APOSTROPHE ABUSE - E'ryn , Jane't, Ja'cari, Ti-Leigh'yah, D'aSiyahna, R'yaire why?
MADE UP HOW ON EARTH DO I SAY THAT? - Ntxhi
ROYALTY NAMES - Princess, Princess..... Every parent thinks their baby girl is a prince/princess but naming them that is to far.
PIPPA - Sorry but it's meaning in other countries make it ick.Melissa ~ Mummy Bee (Stepmum) to Bethany
Gιяℓѕ ηαмєѕ ι ℓσνє
Amélie, Bronwyn, Callista, Eden, Emmeline, Imogen, Liliana, Magdalena, Rosalie, Verity, Xanthe.
вσуѕ ηαмєѕ ι ℓσνє
Alexander, Benjamin, Declan, Keiran, Nathaniel, Niall, Sebastian, Tobias, William 'Liam', Zachary.