Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Re: Names that bug you, or names you're sick of hearing?

Quote Originally Posted by rachaol
    I think that was the moment that name went from jumping the shark to landing tushie first on the other side for me.
    Hehehehe! The sad thing is that Zayden is going to have to deal with being mistaken for a Jayden, Kayden etc... all his life.

Other names I'm definitely tired of:
    Isabelle
    Lily
    Asher
    Zachary
    Chloe (growing up, I knew a girl named this and she was the ONLY one. Now it's everywhere.)
    Liam (sadness! Used to be my #1 boy's name)

And then there's the name I don't think should exist in the first place: Nevaeh (shudders...)
    Expecting a baby boy in November 2013

I don' think I could say that I'm tired of hearing anyone's name--all these names belong to actual, heart-and-soul people, but I think I get it. We used a name for our son that soon afterward became super popular, and varied. (We used traditional spelling.) I feel that it is so common, I sometimes resent hearing it on other little ones, especially when I know it gets the kind of reaction I'm seeing here. There are a few girls' names that I would love to have used, but ditto. I'm not tired of hearing them, just annoyed and a little sad that they've been...co-opted. As if I owned them!

Quote Originally Posted by bigmama
    I don' think I could say that I'm tired of hearing anyone's name--all these names belong to actual, heart-and-soul people, but I think I get it. We used a name for our son that soon afterward became super popular, and varied. (We used traditional spelling.) I feel that it is so common, I sometimes resent hearing it on other little ones, especially when I know it gets the kind of reaction I'm seeing here. There are a few girls' names that I would love to have used, but ditto. I'm not tired of hearing them, just annoyed and a little sad that they've been...co-opted. As if I owned them!
    The heart and soul people are the good side of the what name bugs you equation. Ten years ago it was the name Britney that sent oogy shivers down my back. Since then I've met a few lovely young women with that name. I am mentally preparing myself for the day my son brings his fiance, Haighlei Skylar home to meet the family. I'd hate to have her first impression of me be clouded by a wince.
    Of course, I named my son Frederick Quinn, a lovely boy's name with some tradition and some fun. In the last year Quinn is an on the rise girl name. Sigh. Well, he still likes it and so do I!

Veronica. I just hate the way it sounds.

As with many people, all the -aden names, and any yooneek spellings are things I could do without, as are Addison, Avery and the middle name Rose. A dime a dozen indeed!

My feelings with the over-used names is that, yes, a real person with a real life to live will have to live with that name, love it or hate it. But I can't help but think how downright dumb it is to name a kid something that ten other kids in his/her kindergarten class will have. Even if you lovelovelove the name, do you really want your kid to feel like their name is co-oped? A name is a very special, personal part of who we are. Which is why I cringe when another sorority sister or friend names their kid one of the following:
    Aiden (or Adyn, as one friend chose),
    Madison
    Hailey/Hayley
    Caitlyn
    etc.

That said, the following names may not be overused, but I just can't stand them:
    Madeline/Madelyn/Madeleine (Always the nickname: Maddie! How ugly is that? My apologies if you've chosen this name, but it just isn't pretty. It sounds plain and just ick. Quite sad to say a close friend chose it.)
    Meredith (She just sounds mean and uptight.)
    Heather (Ick. And so over-done in the 80s.)
    Any name that isn't really a name, but an odd mash-up of sounds that usually ends in an "a." (Case in point: Quashmeka. Really?)