Names Searched Right Now:
Page 13 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast

Re: Names that bug you, or names you're sick of hearing?

Quote Originally Posted by basicsand
    I'm bored with them. These are the current ranking of my Banal Beige Names:

Alice - 258
    Charlotte - 68
    Claire - 53
    Eleanor - 218
    Eliza - 278
    Frances - 802
    Grace - 17
    Isabel - 110
    Julia - 50
    Lucy - 101
    Madeline - 64
    Margaret - 187
    Nora - 197
    Rose - 352
    Virginia - 617

Charles - 64
    Edward - 137
    Frederick - 536
    George - 163
    Henry - 71
    Hugh - 988
    Jack - 42
    Patrick - 129
    Philip - 395

I look for more eclectic names that are stylish that have not been in the Top 1000 for the past 20 years. Names I like are Delia, Dinah, and Barnaby. You see these names especially in books, films, and television. Some classics have become tired hence these are the new John and Mary for me. I feel indifferent to names that aren't very forward thinking or at least chic.
    Firstly, I've seen your Eclectic Names thread/list. You can't come up with more than a dozen names dear that haven't been on the top 1000 since around 1990. Truly unique names especially good ones don't stay off the list long.

Next, i'm picking up what you're putting down when it comes to these names. I'm a New Yorker living in Los Angeles. You can't swing a stick on a school playground without hitting one of these names. I hear you when you call it beige. Some of the hormonal pregnant ladies, working writers of either sex, and gentlemen daddies maybe dissed at the banal part. They used to call it "Volvo Names" or "Millennial Names" to lessen the blah. Or just call it "Names Grandma Won't Be Shocked At".
    Eddie (to Saffy): Oh, darling, Mummy loves you. On the day you were born I *knew* I wanted you...
    Patsy: However, the day after...

Basicsand, I disagree with your analogy of "bland, beige names." IMO, beige names are indistinct from other names. Let's take, for instance, one of my husband's suggestions once upon a time - Layla. I don't give a damn where it falls on the social security list (1000 is an arbitrary number, by the way), it'll never be a distinct name. Change a single letter (or sound) and you get:

Lila
    Leila
    Lola
    Kayla
    Aila

Change two letters and you get tons more names - Lana, Lacey, Lyta, Lara, etc.

I can't even get sick of these names because I forget them five minutes after hearing them. They're background noise - they have little to separate themselves from other names. How can you love or hate them? They're just like beige. They're neutral, they blend in, they're not shocking or trendy or classic or stylish.

Most of the names that you list are quite distinct and substantive. Eleanor, for instance, has its diminutives and variants - Ellen, Helen, Leanora, the older Alienor - but there aren't a lot of names that sound just like Eleanor. Emeanor? Eleator? Eleanar? Peleanor? No. Eleanor is more like - what's a hot color that a lot of designers decorate with right now? - orange, say. OK, well maybe you hate orange; maybe the fact that everyone's all about orange right now makes you turn away from orange and embrace pink. But it's not beige. In fact, in terms of this analogy, I would call names that are perennially popular but distinct and substantive (e.g. John, Elizabeth) the green of the nameverse. Green never goes out of favor; it's the color of nature. It may be a little boring because it's everywhere, but it's not beige.

Anyway, this is just my opinion. But I think that your argument that everything that is in the top 1000 given names in the SS list are the "khaki pants of names" is kind of silly. For one thing, it's arbitrary (how is #950 on the SS list all that quantifiably different from what would fall at #1050?); for another, you haven't backed up your examples (maybe Virginia is an uberpopular name in your city, but I haven't seen a lot of characters in novels named Virginia lately and it certainly isn't a popular name nationwide); for another, it just kind of makes you sound like a style snob who doesn't care about substance, but rather being apart from the pack for its own sake - what happens when Delia or Dinah reaches the top 1000 - does it become beige?

Quote Originally Posted by whistlinggirl
    Basicsand, I disagree with your analogy of "bland, beige names." IMO, beige names are indistinct from other names. Let's take, for instance, one of my husband's suggestions once upon a time - Layla. I don't give a damn where it falls on the social security list (1000 is an arbitrary number, by the way), it'll never be a distinct name. Change a single letter (or sound) and you get:

Lila
    Leila
    Lola
    Kayla
    Aila

Change two letters and you get tons more names - Lana, Lacey, Lyta, Lara, etc.

I can't even get sick of these names because I forget them five minutes after hearing them. They're background noise - they have little to separate themselves from other names. How can you love or hate them? They're just like beige. They're neutral, they blend in, they're not shocking or trendy or classic or stylish.

Most of the names that you list are quite distinct and substantive. Eleanor, for instance, has its diminutives and variants - Ellen, Helen, Leanora, the older Alienor - but there aren't a lot of names that sound just like Eleanor. Emeanor? Eleator? Eleanar? Peleanor? No. Eleanor is more like - what's a hot color that a lot of designers decorate with right now? - orange, say. OK, well maybe you hate orange; maybe the fact that everyone's all about orange right now makes you turn away from orange and embrace pink. But it's not beige. In fact, in terms of this analogy, I would call names that are perennially popular but distinct and substantive (e.g. John, Elizabeth) the green of the nameverse. Green never goes out of favor; it's the color of nature. It may be a little boring because it's everywhere, but it's not beige.

Anyway, this is just my opinion. But I think that your argument that everything that is in the top 1000 given names in the SS list are the "khaki pants of names" is kind of silly. For one thing, it's arbitrary (how is #950 on the SS list all that quantifiably different from what would fall at #1050?); for another, you haven't backed up your examples (maybe Virginia is an uberpopular name in your city, but I haven't seen a lot of characters in novels named Virginia lately and it certainly isn't a popular name nationwide); for another, it just kind of makes you sound like a style snob who doesn't care about substance, but rather being apart from the pack for its own sake - what happens when Delia or Dinah reaches the top 1000 - does it become beige?
    This.
    Mother of Theodore Atlas and Katherine Juno
    Teddy and Kitty

http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9783054

very eloquently put!
    exactly how i feel.
    Mum to Hector and newborn Daphne and Juno.

Jayden/Brayden. They sound so unsophisticated to me.