Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Suki and Euclid

Hybrid View

Suki and Euclid

I have friends who have chosen the names Suki Adela and Euclid Lee for when they have kids. I was wondering what you all thought of those names?
    "I think that is what life is all about, actually. About children and flowers." -Audrey Hepburn

My grandmother's best friend married an Irish Euclid, but he went by Clid which went well with his last name. I like it.

Wow, those are pretty bad. I don't mind Suki/Sookie as a nickname for Suzannah (or any of its variants) but as a stand alone first name, it's just no good. I'm guessing the parents are big True Blood fans? As for Euclid...I'm not even sure where to begin. It's just not appealing and there are no good nickname for it (Euey? Clid?). I have to agree with Mischa. Too bad they didn't use Adela and Lee upfront instead.

I love Suki, especially as a nickname for Sakura. Suki, spelled like this, is its own Japanese name meaning beloved- Sukey is the diminuitive of Susan and Susannah. However, Suki doesn't do well for an American girl (though its Kanji and hiragana spellings are gorgeous) due to sucky teasing. Adela isn't the best MN for it, but at least it isn't filler... Or Euclid.

Hopefully, they'll grow out of Euclid. I have a friend who wants to name her first daughter Onyxx-Rose (with the double x). Hopefully, she changes her mind like the Euclid person (probably/for the good of the world) will.
    ~lucy reine~
    ~ celestine eira ~ mary simona ~ elizabeth echo "ellie" ~ eleanor maeve "lena" ~ vivienne isla ~ celia matilda "cici" ~ catherine aiko "rin" ~ elsa verity ~
    ~ jasper red ~ evander lachlan 'evan'~ kai nicholas ~ ezra link ~ avery thomas ~ michael satoshi "mischa" ~ finn jeremias ~ ezekiel hayden ~ alexander rowan "sacha" ~
    guilty pleasures
    ~ tisiphone aria ~ alecto elpis ~ miya lucida ~ addison matteo ~ corinthian tidus ~

Quote Originally Posted by aurra View Post
    Suki, spelled like this, is its own Japanese name meaning beloved
    Here's the thing though. Suki is not a Japanese name. It is literally the word for "like" (and pronounced more like "ski"). I'm not sure why but for some reason, a bunch of naming websites list it as a Japanese name that means "beloved" (my guess is that one website gave the listing and others just copied it), which is just completely inaccurate.