Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hillary Madison

Hillary Madison

Anyone know if baby Hillary is a boy or girl? I was leaning towards girl but wasn't sure... The name is very unisex.

Re: Hillary Madison

A girl--I'm obviously biased, but I don't think of Hil/lary as androgynous at all anymore!

Interesting. All of the Hilarys I know are male. I've only heard Hilary on a girl in the celebisphere.

If you don't mind me asking, where are you? I've never even heard of a real-life male Hil(l)ary.

But Hilary is legitimately unisex, unlike Madison. As a variant of either Hilarius or Hilaria, or a surname, it is one of the rare truly gender neutral names. In the middle ages, it was primarily, though not exclusively, male, but since its revival it has been overwhelmingly female. Its appearance in the top 1000 for males has been spotty at best, but, between the two dominant spellings, relatively consistent for females since 1949.

I don't think the average person (non-name nerd) knows that Hillary and Madison are unisex. I think the public now considers them both exclusively female, and parents who don't research their chosen names may not realize that the name they have chosen is not, in fact, gender-specific. I recently heard of a couple who named their daughter Ryan Aubrey, not knowing that Aubrey, too, is a name stolen from the boys.

I'm in the southeastern US. I probably should have mentioned earlier that the Hil(l)arys I know range in age from their late 40s to early 80s. So they were born before the name "took off" for girls.

In regards to Madison, it's mostly female in my area. However I do know of one boy at my school named Madison, and it's a male family name for me.