Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Four kinds of "confusing" names

I thought of four types of names that some of us like while others think creates unnecessary confusion and other issues, etc. Here's what they are:

1. Using the middle name as the name your child goes by.
    2. Using a name more commonly associated with the opposite gender.
    3. Using a name that is often misspelled (or spelled in a non-standard way).
    4. Using a name that is often mispronounced.

What do you think? Any first (or close second) hand experience with one of these? Would you give any of your children a name under one of these categories? (Or for a little game, if you don't like any of them which is the least of the evils in your opinion?)

I'll wait awhile to give my thoughts (you probably already know I have one of these kinds of names).

Re: Four kinds of "confusing" names

Yes, I do have some experiences with this.

One of my cousins is named Kirsten (pn Ker-stin) and when she was little people always would pronounce her name Keir-sten

someone who I went to HS with had a daughter and named her Mailie. And I thought it was pronounced May-lee come to find out it was pronounced like Miley. So I thought that was weird so I went to search for this name to see if that was the correct pronunciation and I couldn't find the name. They said it was the original Hawaiian spelling. So I eventually found out it's spelled Maile, and had a little giggle to myself.

My name is Brittany and I always have people spelling my name out to me if they have to sign my name or something to make sure they have the correct spelling.

There was this cute as kid from NZ, and his name was Milo. Naturally everyone pronounced it like the milo that you drink, but he'd correct us each time with a roll of his eyes- "It's M(ee)lo." Mee-lo. Cute name, but poor kid, having to have to tell people that for the rest of his life. They could've at least spelt it Melo to make his life easier.. I'm all for unusual names, but can you imagine a guy in a suit.. called Milo? (and thats 'Mee-lo')

Quote Originally Posted by daisyhaneisha
    There was this cute as kid from NZ, and his name was Milo. Naturally everyone pronounced it like the milo that you drink, but he'd correct us each time with a roll of his eyes- "It's M(ee)lo." Mee-lo. Cute name, but poor kid, having to have to tell people that for the rest of his life. They could've at least spelt it Melo to make his life easier.. I'm all for unusual names, but can you imagine a guy in a suit.. called Milo? (and thats 'Mee-lo')
    I would think most people would think Melo was pronounced like Mellow. They probably should have just spelled it Meelo...
    ~Martina

1. Using the middle name as the name your child goes by.
    2. Using a name more commonly associated with the opposite gender.
    3. Using a name that is often misspelled (or spelled in a non-standard way).
    4. Using a name that is often mispronounced.

All of your four examples are some of my top pet peeves. One and four are not as perplexing as two and three for me. So many boys names are being taken over by girls and it drives me nuts. Maybe this trend is one of the reasons why people seem to have a more difficult time choosing names for boys. Misspellings or "kreatif" spellings is another huge problem for me. Changing Mason to Masyn for example does not "feminize" it or doesn't make the name look fresh and new, it just looks silly. The poor child will have to correct people for the rest of its life. I would have added a fifth example: Word names that are so strange they would encourage ridicule and teasing (eg. Ecstasy for a girl - what are these parents thinking?). It's good to know that someone else finds theses issues "confusing" too! Thanks fo posting!
    All the best,
    Mischa.