Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

baby name regret

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this board and need some advice. I am the lucky mom of two beautiful healthy daughters. My eldest daughter, I loved her name from the moment we chose it when I was 4 months pregnant (Sofia). Never doubted her name at all. My youngest is 4 months old and I have been having issues with her name ever since she was born. We choose an unusual italian name before she was born and I changed my mind about it immediately after she was born since I felt it no longer fit. A month later we changed it but I was not totally happy with the choice. It was hard to find a name. We wanted an italian name since we both of italian orgin but with our strong italian pasts it was slim pickings. We chose Liliana, but for some reason i am not comfortable saying it or hearing it. And I find it hard to say Lili because I feel she doesn't suit that either. Has anyone else felt the same way? Will things get better? Sometimes I think I should have just stuck to the original and just shortened it. The original was Giulietta but lately I have been thinking that maybe I could have just called he Juliet. I was unsure how I felt about the Shakesperean link and i didn't want her to get teased about Romeo.

Re: baby name regret

I know where you're coming from...I've had baby name regret after each of my children were born, and I'm sure I'll experience it again when the twins are born (it's probably because there are simply SO many names that I love!). First of all, let me just say that I love the name Sofia and I think it sounds wonderful and elegant with other Italian names in particular. Secondly, If you love Juliet, go for it. We plan to name our daughter Juliet (next month) and we've actually met several little Juliets and Juliettes over the past few years. I really don't think the teasing potential is such an issue anymore, and I'm hypersensitive to teasing issues (we passed up Gabriel/Gabe because of potential "gay" teasing...etc).

Is there anything that immediately comes to mind when you see your daughter?
    Proud father of Camille (8), Zachary (6), Laura (4), Juliet and Benjamin (6 months).

Thanks for the reply. So confused about things but I know that Liliana doesn't feel right . However, I feel that she is becoming her name more and more. Does that make sense? It might be hard to switch at this point especially for our 2and a half old daughter. Do things get better? I'm pretty depressed about it all.

In my experience, it has gone away each time. We named our oldest daughter Camille because we were both in love with the name, but she didn't seem like a Camille at all initially, which really upset me. She later nicknamed herself Mia, which is completely and totally her, but I'd say she also grew into Camille (and is still growing into it - she's only seven). With our others I experienced even more name regret, since I was convinced it was the last time I'd ever get to name a child, and I wanted to use all my favorite names. Ultimately, I think that either the child grows into their name or doesn't, and I think you'll know soon enough. Give it a little more time, maybe?
    Proud father of Camille (8), Zachary (6), Laura (4), Juliet and Benjamin (6 months).

My situation is a little different. Sofia's name was so easy to choose that I underestimated how hard it would be choose the second time around. We waited until a week before I was due with my second baby to decide on a name and didn't let it sit with me long enough. We wanted something unique and italian. Now I wish I would have picked something more classic like Clara or Elena. Liliana was a comprimise that I was not too comfortable with but it was italian and it fit the best. Loved Mia and Chiara but Mia sounded funny with Sofia and Chiara would have given her pronounciation difficulties. I changed my mind twice about Liliana and didn't want it at the end but DH thought I would doubt any name as my Ocd was acting up and registered her. I'm not comfortable saying it and now it seems really old fashioned and too frilly to me and I find it doesn't sound good with Sofia. I never refer her to her by her name and I can't see myself ever liking it but I'm afraid that if I change it I'll regret it as I sometimes go back to Juliet now. But I know If I wouldn't have changed it I prob wouldn't be happy with Juliet ( Giulietta /Julietta as my husband would have called her). My Ocd started acting up post delivery making me doubt my decisions even now. Does this all make sense? I basically think about this all time. I don't like my daughter's name and I prob never will. I'm pretty depressed about it. Going through therapy now.