Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bram as a stand-alone name?

I absolutely love the name Bram but don't like Abram or Abraham. Do you think this name works as a stand-alone? Everyone I've mentioned it to IRL looks at me like I'm nuts, but to me it doesn't seem all that different than the more popular, Graham (for example). I actually like Graham too, but Bram feels a bit more masculine. Please feel free to talk me out of this if you think it's a bad idea.

For those who do like it, any suggestions for good MN options?

Thx!

Re: Bram as a stand-alone name?

When I saw your post my first thought was of Irish author Bram Stoker who wrote "Dracula". Although he was born Abraham, he did go by Bram during his writing career so I guess he felt it was a stand-alone name. I prefer Abraham with the nn of Abram but if you really like just Bram, go for it! If you have a cool surname like Stoker, it would be even better! It's definitely a strong and masculine choice. Good luck!
    All the best,
    Mischa.

I knew a Bram growing up. Never found out if it was short for anything, but seeing as he was the most popular guy in school, no one I know would consider his name "weird".

Also being Canadian, I thought of the group Sharon, Lois and Bram (the group behind the "Elephant Show"). When I was a kid I saw them in concert at least 3 times, so only positive associations there too! Maybe that's another reason the Bram mentioned above didn't stand out as an oddity- we'd all grown up with Bram as a household name.
    ~Jen
    Parker Scott (3/8/13)
    baby girl (due 11/14)

I think it can. I actually watched that show Deadwood a few years back and a rather minor character on it was named Bram. They never mentioned it being short for something and so it never occurred to me it wasn't a full name. Go for it!

I think it can stand alone, largely due to the Stoker connection. I actually quite like the sound of it.
    *Mother to twins Charles and Samuel*