Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Mythological Names

I'm really interested in names from mythology that are usable on a child today.
    I love that they have been in existence for so long and the stories and histories that come with the names.
    I am particularly fond of names from Greek mythology but others are great too... I'd love to head some ideas.
    Thanks

Re: Mythological Names

hey there, also loving mythological names!! they've been on my list for a while, mostly due to a childhood love of mythology! here's a few thoughts....

Boys
    Atlas - seems to be getting more attention these days, especially after a celebrity named her kid that. personally, i think its a fantastic name, very strong, but there's always thtat thought of a map book :/
    Perseus - ever read the Percy Jackson books? great kids books and the name of the main character is Perseus shortened down to percy!
    Icarus - i like this more as a middle name because i like it, but the 'ick' sound at the start puts me off using it as a first
    Orion - also getting more popularity, Chris Noth called his son Orion i think?
    Zephyr - one of my favourite names for boys and girls, though i put it here because its the Greek god of the WEst wind. i like its very free and spiritual connotations, and it would be super cool with the nn 'Zep'
    Balaram - the older brother of Krishna, which i think has definite potential. I first heard it on a surfer who i think has an amazing name - Balaram Stack - its just ace!
    Thor - quite popular in scandinavian countries, where the mythology originates from and i can see it becoming more popular elsewhere with the movie 'Thor' coming out soon

Girls
    Alecto - one of the Furies, makes an interesting change to Alexandra/Alexa etc
    Artemis - the goddess of the hunt, would certainly be a name to live up to
    Juno - much more popular now, one we all know but still cute!
    Athena - probably my favourite at the moment simply for its beauty and strength
    Pandora - maybe not good connotations, with the whole unleashing of misery on the world, but it does lend itself to the cute nn 'Pan'
    Hero - in Greek legend she was the lover of Leander and while most people see this as a boys name, because of the mythology i think it can stand pretty well as a girls name!
    Isis - the Egyptian goddess. a good, beautiful name i think
    Ariadne - the woman who led Theseus out of the labyrinth

thats all ive got for now, but i know theres many many more cool names from different mythologies!!!

Penelope*
    Persephone
    Hestia/Vesta
    Demeter (Demi?)*
    Athena/Minerva*
    Hera/Juno*
    Apollo
    Zeus
    Thor*
    Freya
    Frigga
    Odysseus
    Prometheus
    Vulcan/Hephaestus (Hep?)
    Circe (so pretty!)*
    Artemis*
    Isis*
    Adonis*
    Acantha
    Althea*
    Ambrosia (food of the gods. lovely meaning.)
    Anthea*
    Aphrodite
    Calypso*
    Calliope*
    Clio*
    Erato
    Thalia*
    Polyhymnia (nn Polly?)
    Echo*
    Eros
    Eurydice
    Gaia (or Gaea)
    Hebe
    Selena*
    Io*
    Iris*
    Nephele
    Pan
    Rhea*
    Xanthe

*-Ones I think would easily work in real life, although I think any of them would be lovely.
    "I think that is what life is all about, actually. About children and flowers." -Audrey Hepburn

I really like Irene and Athena.
    other ideas-
    Phoebe
    Selene
    Charis
    Jocasta
    Aurora

Some I can see working are:
    Acala (a ka la)
    Accalia (ah KALL ee ah)
    Adonia
    Apolline
    Aries
    Beowulf (BAY wulf)
    Callisto
    Clytie
    Eido (EYE doh)
    Hermes
    Indra
    Iole (eye OH lee)

I also love some of the previous suggestions, especially Atlas, Pheobe, Athena, Circe, Isis and Selena.