Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sharing bedrooms?

Hi everyone!

Just had a thought - We have a 4 bed house and will shortly have 7 kids - ahh! At the moment my 14yr old daughter has her own room, my sons (7 and 5yrs) share and my 2yr old daughter has her own. I'm now expecting triplets... We can't afford to move and I can't really fit 4 in one room so... I know the obvious would be to move the girls in together but my oldest was an only child for 7yrs and has always had her own space. She'll be starting her GSCEs soon and I'm not sure sharing a room with a 3/4yr old would be productive... What would you do??!!

Thanks, Elinor

Re: Sharing bedrooms?

That's a difficult situation. I'd agree that it wouldn't be a great idea to move a young child into your oldest daughter's room when she's been used to having her own for so long, and that a four year old would probably annoy her a lot when she's trying to do her homework, revise et cetera.

Still costly, but nowhere near so much as moving house (and it should add value to your house, so one day you'd get some return on this) would be to convert your attic, if you have one. Actually, I once read about a family who had had a basement built onto their house, and I remember being surprised that it wasn't that much more expensive than converting an attic, although 1) of course, that's still a fair amount of money and 2) I'm not a building expert, but I imagine it wouldn't be possible on some houses, depending on the nature of the foundations et cetera.

In a year or so, when your youngest is three, would it be at all possible to move her into the boys' room? As they're still young, I don't think different genders sharing a room would be an issue, and although it still isn't ideal, I feel like boys aged around 8 and 6 would be a lot less resentful of a little sister invading their space than a teenager would, and there would be a lot less problems such as widely different bed times. When the children get older and it starts to become an issue, you could do a bit of a shuffle - if one of the triplets is a boy, you could swap your youngest and him once the triplets are 2/3, and better able to share a room with older children without disturbing them.

Apologies for just throwing ideas at you! Auburn

I think that everyone in the house should share in in order to help out. Triplets is a BIG change. I would move the girls together, but make a deal where the oldest gets to remodel the room to her liking. Also, I would make a deal with her to put aside a chunk of every day that is considered her quiet time. During which the younger daughter will play elsewhere and not disturb the older one.
    She probably won't like this deal, but you have to look at the whole picture.

Renovating your attic or basement would be the easiest way to get another bedroom, keep everyone happy, and add some value to your house.
    Mother of Theodore Atlas and Katherine Juno
    Teddy and Kitty

http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9783054

Thankyou for the ideas everyone! Converting the attic is a fab idea - DH agrees. Problem being I'm 26 weeks now and I don't really want the house turned into a building site when they could arrive anytime. That'll have to be a long term solution! Was all ok when it was the 5 kids plan... They would have fitted fine!

We thought of this far too late. Looks like they'll be sleeping in our room for the time being! The boys room is too small to put our youngest in as well. My sister is also sleeping on the sofa at the moment to help out with the kids as in my whale-like state I can't do much!

Although, maybe I could turf DH out of his office (downstairs) and put the oldest down there - I think that's big enough to just about squeeze a bed?! Then we could have her room for the triplets.

Thanks for your help! Elinor