Names Searched Right Now:

Thread: Potty Training.

Potty Training.

My step-daughter started potty training about three or four months ago. She only just turned two, so I think she's doing pretty well so far, but I have some questions. We started training her because she started going through a phase where she'd rip off her diaper, so since she seemed to want out of the thing, we figured it was a good time to start. Her mother wasn't so ready to commit and so it really was one sided and Mackenzie would only use the potty when she was with us. Then, finally, her mother started to realized that Mackenzie actually wanted to use the potty and got on board. However, Mackenzie had gotten sick and started to lose interest and reverted back a little. My husband and I still kept her in the pull ups and would encourage her to use the potty, but she really didn't want to anymore it seemed. She also didn't want the pull ups anymore. We came to find out that her mother started putting her in diapers again, and wouldn't even try to get her to use the toliet. Anyway, we got her to use the potty again, and she does great, she can't make it through the night yet, but during the day she very rarely has any accidents. The problem... her mother is still putting her in diapers when she's with her. When my husband asked his ex why, she tells him that Mackenzie wants no part of it and she isn't going to force it on her, but with us, she's back to it 100% and we didn't need to force it on to her. We encouraged her, but that's all. She didn't get in trouble if she went in the pull up or anything. Meanwhile, when she's with her mother she supposedly doens't want to use the potty and wants the diapers, and she won't tell her mother when she has gone in the diaper and ends up staying in a wet diaper until she gets changed.

I'm sorry for this being so long, but do any of you have any suggestions? Have any of single parents gone through a similiar situation with the other parent not working with you or not commited? I really appreciate it.

Re: Potty Training.

No help from anyone? ::sigh:: :|

Re: Potty Training.

I have help. So, clearly Mackenzie is interested in potty training now. She's still little, so I wouldn't worry about her being accident-free all night. Calm down, it's totally normal.

What's not normal is that her mother is discouraging potty training. Talk to Mackenzie about it. Ask her what she likes better, the potty or the diaper. If she says the potty, tell her mother that. Better yet, have Mackenzie tell her mother that.

Most kids get potty trained ages 1-4. Explain that to her mother (the sooner, the better. You don't want your kid starting kindergarten in pull-ups.). Talk to her mother about it. If she says no, she won't let Mackenzie use the potty (which is pretty weird), just continue having Mackenzie use the potty at home. "Diapers are not allowed at Daddy's house." Eventually her mother will agree to potty training. The older Mackenzie gets, and the older her mother gets, the more annoying it will be to have to change diapers.

Best of luck!
    (\_/)
    (o.o)
    (> <) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

clivehills