Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Names that you love but can't use for cultural reasons.

I was thinking of names I love but am unable to use for different reasons.

Flora - Would love to use this version of my Grandmother in law's name Florence. Unfortunately it is a margarine in Australia.
    Jemima - Love the name. Reminds me of the doll off Playschool. Unfortunately it is syrup in Canada, where my husband is from.
    Beatrix - apparantly sounds like 'Beetroot', what aussies call beets.
    Kylie - lovely Australian Aboriginal name that has been over popularised (Kyla, Kylee, McKylie)
    Michaela - Mykaylah et al.
    Kirra - Aboriginal name that sounds too much like Kiera

anyone else have these issues?
    Mum of Elsa Helen, 11/10/09.

Re: Names that you love but can't use for cultural reasons.

I'm so with you on Jemima. I love it so much but it's SO tied to Aunt Jemima here that it just really wouldn't work.
    Proud mama to two sweet boys:

Dashiell David Rowe
    and
    Flynn William Warfield

"Real babies are more difficult than ideas of babies... Or even pictures of babies."
    -James Franco

Jemima, definitely. Also possibly Clementine. I may go against the flow, but everyone I tell says "Oh My Darling..." I also really like India, but would never use it b/c I have no connection to the country.

Most people named India don't have any connections to the country. It's considered an English name. Indian people tend to use names of Sanskrit origin (or sometimes Persian/Arabic, especially if they are Muslim).

Back to the topic: I could never use Jemima because of Aunt Jemima. I like a lot of Turkish and Persian names, but I'm not either, so I wouldn't use them.

Quote Originally Posted by gothdolphin
    Most people named India don't have any connections to the country. It's considered an English name. Indian people tend to use names of Sanskrit origin (or sometimes Persian/Arabic, especially if they are Muslim).

Back to the topic: I could never use Jemima because of Aunt Jemima. I like a lot of Turkish and Persian names, but I'm not either, so I wouldn't use them.
    India is considered an English name (which I love, as I said.) But it is an English name because of British imperialism and the trend to name upper-class white babies born in India after the country that made their parents wealthy by subordinating and exploiting its natives. So, while I love it, I feel like it could be considered in poor taste by some if there is not an authentic connection to the country.