Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hazel/Hattie

Hazel/Hattie

So, here's my little "dilemma"

I love the name Hazel, but I'd like for any potential name to have a nickname option to go with it - and "Hazie" just doesn't cut it for me.

I also absolutely love the name Hattie, but I wouldn't want to saddle a little girl with the name Harriet or Henrietta just to be able to use the nickname Hattie, as I'm not a big fan of either of those.

Do you think it would be a total stretch to give a little girl the name Hazel but then use the nickname Hattie? Would it seem completely contrived, or do you think it could fly?

And if the Hazel/Hattie combination is out, can you think of any other great nicknames for Hazel or, alternatively, any other formal names that the Hattie nickname could be used for?

Thanks a bunch

Re: Hazel/Hattie

I think Hattie is a bit of stretch as a nickname for Hazel, but I don't think there's anything wrong with it (though, I personally am a fan of nicknames that aren't even related to the first name). Of course, if you name her Hazel and she goes by Hazel in school, etc., Hattie is not a natural shortening, and she is likely to get Haze and Hazie, so you should probably take this into serious consideration before committing to Hazel as the first name. I think another nn option for Hazel would be Ella, or Zella, based on the ending of the name, but again not necessarily the most natural, though I do think Zella or Zel could become attached to her name if she used that short form exclusively instead of Haze as it is still connected to the full name in a way that Hattie is not.
    Mom of one daughter, age 2, and name-enthusiast

I think Hazel is a v sweet name and Hattie works fine as a nn. Having said that, you don't really need to shorten Hazel as it is only 2 syllables anyway.

Hmmmmm....That is a good point. A nickname that has the same number of syllables as the original name (and even more letters) does seem a bit strange. That pretty much convinces me that the Hattie/Hazel thing would not fly .

I also really like the name Lottie, but I have the same dilemma with it that I did with Hattie. The only "proper" names I can think of for Lottie are Charlotte and Carlotta. Charlotte's waaay to popular and Carlotta is just yuck (to my ears anyway)...

Can you all think of any other names that Lottie could be a nickname for besides Charlotte?

Thanks!

I have Hazel on my list, but I would use the nn Hallie instead. Hattie isn't bad though, but it does seem a bit of a stretch. What do you think of Hallie?

Also, you could use a longer form of Hazel like...

Hazella(nn could also be Ella)
    Hazeline
    Hazel Lynne
    ~Martina