Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Buck?

Buck?

Am I crazy for thinking this name is awesome and considering it as a real possibility? My husband points out that it rhymes with a swear, reminds him of a John Candy movie, could easily lend itself to teasing like "bucket head" or "buck hunter"...and yet I love it! I think it's cool, masculine & retro feeling. I can picture an old movie star, a surfer, a heavy metal guitarist...Buck just sounds like someone who does something interesting with his time

What do you all think?

I can kind of see the appeal, but at the same time I'd avoid it for all of your husband's reasons. Also, there's the rapey character in Kill Bill who has the line "My name is Buck and I like to f***." And then gets his head smashed in a door. Not a pleasant association.

Maybe check out one of Nameberry's old movie star or cowboy name lists to find similar but more wearable options?
    Gwen
    College student, bookworm, terrible influence.
    Owner of a cat: Minerva "Minnie"

Current favorites:
    Belphoebe Cosima Sybella Ailsa Celia
    Prosper Finn August Malcolm Zephyr

It might work as a nickname but not as a given name.
    Current favorites:
    Cora . Louisa . Lydia . Mary

My Adoption Journey

Ditto @geeknamezyo- that was my first association. 'Buck' as a term has some very negative connotations anyway: rhymes with a cuss word, is racist slang, slang for fighting, slang for umm... a type of adult activity, as well as being a slang term for money. Not good name material. I definitely agree with your husband: I can see the appeal, but maybe these would be less tease worthy:
    Bix, Bing, Buddy, Bud, Tuck (though still a possibility for teasing), Bax, Bas, Bede, Beale, Bard, Brom, Bert, Taf, Tab, Bay, Beck, Bo / Beau, Boaz, Boone, Booker, Bram, Brock, Britte, Broz, Brio, Burr, Buzz (although there is the Buzz Lightyear thing), Bert.
    Last edited by nooshi; August 23rd, 2014 at 11:40 PM.
    Momo Flora
    Dossie Roland

Name List:http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9846712

ditto what everyone else has mentioned - rhymes with f**k, negative characters, slang for the horizontal mambo, slang for fighting, and a name for a deer.
    "While some of the brightest of our celestial bodies are actually extinct now, their energy long since cooled; miraculously, because they float in the heavens so far away from us now, their beautiful light will continue to shine on us forever, and the glow will be so bright, it'll warm your heart, it'll make your eyes glisten, and it'll make you think to yourselves; what a concept"