Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How to be a Good Mommy!

Im only 17 and hae no clue how to raise a child :cry: ! If some experienced moms can help that would be great! thnx a bunch!
    teen-mom

Re: How to be a Good Mommy!

rollo wrote (In a different thread),

Well here I am. What can I say except fall in love with your child, be their best advocate in life, teach them the highest values.

Be gentle but firm with discipline. Always be their parent versus a friend, it gives them security.

Set boundaries, and when they are old enough let them go and God willing they will return to you not only as a son or daughter but as a friend.

Teach them love by your loving example.

God Bless
    thnx rollo!
    teen-mom

Hey just wanted to suggest the website baby-gaga.com they aren't always as nice as berries are but they have some really great advice about raising kids and being a good mommy
    Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

Do you have any adults in your life to help you at all? Mom, grandma, aunts? I hope that you do, and it's possible they are just waiting for you to reach out to them for help. Even if you don't have anyone to help you, I can tell you are going go to be a great mom. You are already trying to find out how to be a good mom! Trust me, not everyone does that!

The truth is that no one can tell you how to be a good mom. There is no specific recipe for success. My son is only 18 months so I won't pretend to have all the answers, but I do think I'm doing pretty well so far! I think the most important thing is to love your child, which of course you will, more than you know! TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS! I strongly believe that parents are the only ones who know what is right for their children (normal parents, obviously. There are the drug addict, abusive, etc. exceptions, but lets not think about them). So much advice will come your way, much of it conflicting. You are the one who has to decide what is right for your child, and you will know. Don't let people pressure you into things. For example, I was uncomfortable with my son getting vaccinated. Almost everyone I know pressured me to do it but something told me not to. I recently got him vaccinated for whooping cough and a few other things and now I am going to slowly get the rest done. He was fine when he got that shot, but I still believe that something would have gone wrong if he'd got them earlier and I'll never regret that choice. Will i do the same thing with a future child? Not necessarily. Conversely, i got him circumcised and he was fine, but something tells me that if i have another son that I shouldn't do it. I'm sorry to get so lengthy, i don't even know if this is making sense. I'm just trying to say, use your instincts. That is what helps me more than anything to be a good mother.

A few sites that are helpful to me are parentsconnect.com, thebump.com, babyfit.com. I loved the books The Happiest Baby on the Block and The No Cry Sleep Solution. Dr. Sears is really good. I used the book Super Baby Food and it was invaluable!

Oh, breastfeeding! You should do it! That is one area where I can say without a doubt no matter what, you should do it! It is the best thing you can do to improve your baby's health for life! It is also really great for bonding. It may be difficult at first and it may hurt (for me it never hurt and baby cooperated right away, but for some it is more difficult) but it is absolutely worth it. For the time you are not with your baby, you can pump, and you can also supplement with formula. La Leche League is the international breastfeeding group, check them out! There are also countless other sites and books and stuff about it. And at the hospital they will send a lactation consultant to help you! If you have any questions now, feel free to ask!

Anyway. I guess I got a bit too specific? [b]Trust yourself and love your baby.[/b]
    Proud mama to two sweet boys:

Dashiell David Rowe
    and
    Flynn William Warfield

"Real babies are more difficult than ideas of babies... Or even pictures of babies."
    -James Franco

Do you have any adults in your life to help you at all? Mom, grandma, aunts? I hope that you do, and it's possible they are just waiting for you to reach out to them for help. Even if you don't have anyone to help you, I can tell you are going go to be a great mom. You are already trying to find out how to be a good mom! Trust me, not everyone does that!

The truth is that no one can tell you how to be a good mom. There is no specific recipe for success. My son is only 18 months so I won't pretend to have all the answers, but I do think I'm doing pretty well so far! I think the most important thing is to love your child, which of course you will, more than you know! TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS! I strongly believe that parents are the only ones who know what is right for their children (normal parents, obviously. There are the drug addict, abusive, etc. exceptions, but lets not think about them). So much advice will come your way, much of it conflicting. You are the one who has to decide what is right for your child, and you will know. Don't let people pressure you into things. For example, I was uncomfortable with my son getting vaccinated. Almost everyone I know pressured me to do it but something told me not to. I recently got him vaccinated for whooping cough and a few other things and now I am going to slowly get the rest done. He was fine when he got that shot, but I still believe that something would have gone wrong if he'd got them earlier and I'll never regret that choice. Will i do the same thing with a future child? Not necessarily. Conversely, i got him circumcised and he was fine, but something tells me that if i have another son that I shouldn't do it. I'm sorry to get so lengthy, i don't even know if this is making sense. I'm just trying to say, use your instincts. That is what helps me more than anything to be a good mother.

A few sites that are helpful to me are parentsconnect.com, thebump.com, babyfit.com. I loved the books The Happiest Baby on the Block and The No Cry Sleep Solution. Dr. Sears is really good. I used the book Super Baby Food and it was invaluable!

Oh, breastfeeding! You should do it! That is one area where I can say without a doubt no matter what, you should do it! It is the best thing you can do to improve your baby's health for life! It is also really great for bonding. It may be difficult at first and it may hurt (for me it never hurt and baby cooperated right away, but for some it is more difficult) but it is absolutely worth it. For the time you are not with your baby, you can pump, and you can also supplement with formula. La Leche League is the international breastfeeding group, check them out! There are also countless other sites and books and stuff about it. And at the hospital they will send a lactation consultant to help you! If you have any questions now, feel free to ask!

Anyway. I guess I got a bit too specific? Trust yourself and love your baby.
    Tahnx sooooo much 4 all the help, support, and advice! and yeah i got some help from the women in my life.
    teen-mom