Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Nameberries-I challenge thee!

DF is a lot like most of the members on here...he likes old names. Not just classic old names like Katherine and Elizabeth, but SUPER old names like Nannie, Maud, Edna, Gertrude, Mildred, and Agnes.
    I, however, HATE those names and am more inclined to go with Catherine, Charlotte, Elisabeth (spelled this way for some reason), and even Cadence.

The ONLY name we can agree on so far is Lucille nn Lucy.

We get along famously with boy names. No problem.

So I'm challenging you, Nameberries. How do we compromise? How do we take a 100+ year old name and turn it into a name I might actually want to bestow upon a daughter?

I really need your help!

Re: Nameberries-I challenge thee!

Hi! You could compromise: Maude could become Maeve, or Gertrude could be Genevieve. Mildred could become Matilda. Elizabeth could become Eliza.
    Maeve, Matilda, Eliza, and Genevieve are very "in" now on Nameberry. (Because of NB, I am liking the "old-fashioned" names more!)
    From our ancestors come our names, but from our virtues our honors. ~ Proverb

Classics: Anna & Catherine, Caroline & Emily; Benjamin & Elliot, James & Luke
    Celtic flair: Annabel & Maeve; Evan, Liam & Patrick
    French: Celeste, Charlotte & Claire
    Short & Sweet: Eve & Jane, Grace & Rose; Jack & Leo

This is a tough one...I think it is possible to find something that you both love. But it just takes time. Here are some...pass these along to DF and then tell us what he thinks!

Etta - optional nickname Etty or Etsy
    Adele - optional nickname Addy may be more to your liking
    Alice - optional nickname Ali
    Iris
    Ada/Adah - pronounced A-dah
    Beatrice/Beatrix - optional nicknames Beatty, Trixie, Tricy
    Imma - change on the popular Emma
    Margo/Margot - feels old world and fresh
    Leonora - optional nickname Leo, Leelee, Nora
    Eleora - optional nickname Ellie, Elle, Laura, Lori

I hope you like some of these!

Melina (June 2008), Jasper (October 2010), Malachi (January 2012) and #4 joining us in May 2014

OK - Well, you have a few options. You could take a name like Gertrude and find a nickname that you both can agree on (Trudy? Gertie?), and you can use the nickname while DF uses the full name or nickname, depending. Or you could take a name that DF likes and use it's nickname (Millie for Mildred) and use a different full name (Millicent). Finally, you can try and find a name that meets on middle ground for both of you and that you both can agree on.

Also - It may be easier then you think to agree on a name. Maybe DF could agree on a name you both like, but doesn't like the more common nicknames for Catherine, Charlotte, or Elisabeth - All of those names offer an abundance of nicknames to go through...

Mabel (many variations available)
    Martha
    Merle
    Muriel
    Alice
    Griselda "Zelda" (OK, might not be your style - but old, with a funky/fun nickname!)
    Florence
    Matilda "Maud"
    Pearl
    Opal
    Josephine "Josie" "Jo"
    "Effie" Euphemia/Stefanie/Ophelia
    Blanche
    Stella
    Estella
    Olive
    Virginia "Gin" "Ginny" "Ginger"
    Eleanor
    Rose
    Esther "Essie"
    Eunice "Neecy"
    "Hettie" Henrietta/Hester
    Augusta "Gussie"
    Marigold
    Antoinette
    Vivian
    Almeda
    Susanna
    Edith "Edie"
    Fay/Faye
    Odessa
    Veronica
    Eloise
    Camille
    Anastasia
    Delilah
    Judith

Quote Originally Posted by nosoup4you
    DF is a lot like most of the members on here...he likes old names. Not just classic old names like Katherine and Elizabeth, but SUPER old names like Nannie, Maud, Edna, Gertrude, Mildred, and Agnes.
    I, however, HATE those names and am more inclined to go with Catherine, Charlotte, Elisabeth (spelled this way for some reason), and even Cadence.

The ONLY name we can agree on so far is Lucille nn Lucy.

We get along famously with boy names. No problem.

So I'm challenging you, Nameberries. How do we compromise? How do we take a 100+ year old name and turn it into a name I might actually want to bestow upon a daughter?

I really need your help!