Names Searched Right Now:

please help with potential girls names!

hi everyone! this is my first time posting, we are expecting our first child in november and we aren't finding out the gender. i think we're all set on a boys first name but we are having a bit of trouble with a girls name.

i want something not incredibly popular, although i'm starting to learn that that sometimes even when you are unique you can't avoid some other child having the same name (my own name was very popular in the 80s when i was born so i'm a bit sensitive to this).

right now, the names in the running are:

eleanor (but i worry about all the little ellies running around)
    stella
    helena (pronounced hell-ay-nuh - not our favorite but would be after my grandmother, making me love it more)
    hazel (my husband LOVES this one)
    violet

i like but don't love any of the above. i tend to go for somewhat old fashioned feminine names. i just don't know if they are for my child. we really liked delilah but my husband can't get past the bad girl biblical story.

so, any additional suggestions or thoughts on the above would be really helpful. also, any middle name suggestions for hazel - only requirement is that it doesn't begin w/a vowel (i don't like monograms that spell words).

thanks in advance!

Re: please help with potential girls names!

cordelia ~ jessamine ~ alice ~ louisa ~ maeve ~ julia ~ eloise ~ fiona ~ genevieve
    matthias ~ william ~ henry ~ finn ~ benjamin ~ frederick ~ leander

Well, I actually really like all of the names on your list - all feminine, but not fussy, classics which would age well.

If you're really worried about popularity, though, then you might want to steer clear of some of them. (I'm using US statistics.) Stella is the most popular, at #126, with Violet #141. Both names look like they are still rising, but not as rapidly as in previous years. Eleanor is at #218 in the US (more popular in the UK), which is pretty popular but by no means epidemic; the problem would be the similar Ella which is at #14. Hazel has been climbing steadily for a while now, from #893 in 2000 to #294 in 2009, and it looks like it might keep going.

Helena is the least popular of all of your choices (outside the top 500), and I love it and its family connection for you. However, if you don't love Helena but still want to honour your grandmother, you could try another variation :
    Elena
    Eleni
    Helen
    Ileana
    Olena.

Names which remind me of the others on your list :
    Eleanor :
    Lenore
    Lenora
    Annora
    Honora
    Honoria
    Honorine - none of these are in the top 1000.

Stella :
    Luna - #322 and rising.
    Freya - not in the top 1000.
    Tessa - #208 but has been sitting steadily around that mark for at least the last ten years, so you shouldn't have to worry about it suddenly becoming top 10.
    Isla - #346, even though it only entered the top 1000 the year before that.
    Flora - not in the top 1000.

Hazel :
    Coral
    Opal
    Rose - the only which charts, she has been sitting steadily at around the mid 300s for at least ten years, decreasing in popularity if anything.
    Pearl.

Violet :
    Beatrice - only charts some years, and never below #800.
    Beatrix - doesn't chart.
    Cosette - doesn't chart.
    Juliet - #319 and has been slowly rising.
    Charlotte - #68 but is such a classic that I included it despite that.
    Harriet - doesn't chart.

You also really seem to like the el/ella sound, so here are some more :
    Arabella (#447)
    Elodie
    Eloise (new entry this year, #917)
    Fiorella
    Giselle (#134, but has only been climbing very slowly; it has taken it 9 years to rise 78 places)
    Mirabel/Mirabelle/Mirabella.

Good luck! Auburn

I'm actually a big fan of Helena, but having lived in a Scandinavian country, I'd be inclined to pronounce it Hel-een-a. Either way, if you don't love it, it would be a really pretty middle name and a way to still honor your grandmother.

I love:

Juliet Helena
    Cosette Helena
    Eloise Helena
    Charlotte Helena