Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Can you guide a child to two different nicknames?

Another chime-in that Betsy is perfectly fine for an older woman. I know a couple of Betsy's -early 30's- and the name is very nice on them, if anything it is rather distinctive and unusual.
    I also agree that you probably won't have a lot to say about what her "new" nickname will be, should she decide to evolve it. I think she will probably come home and say "Mom, stop calling me Betsy. My name is _____ now." And whatever name you like will be off the list for sure!

I also know someone who has gone by Betsey her whole life, and I never thought of it as a childish nickname. If this is your favorite I wouldn't rule it out for that reason. It also seems to me that many times when someone has 2 nicknames, they hate one of them! I think the kid usually ends up picking their favorite and wants to be called only that. I have a nephew John that is 3 and wanting to only be called Johnny. He thinks it's a grown up name because it's longer ;-)
    ~Mother to Felix & Gus <3

I have a cousin, also named Elizabeth, who's primarily gone by Libby. However, she's just graduated from college and is attending med school, and she's been introducing herself as Liz. No one in our family is having trouble with this transition because she's always responded to every nickname for Elizabeth under the sun. For example, our grandpa calls her Beth, her mother calls her Eliza, and her younger siblings call her Ellie. If you introduce Eliza as a nickname early on, no one will have any problem making the transition, but if you pull it out of nowhere and demand that people start to call your daughter Eliza, then you'll have issues.

Of course, you could always do the unthinkable and let your daughter choose her own nickname

Hmmm, I think that this would be very confusing. I got confused reading your post, lol, but that may just be me. I think you can deffinatly influence a nickname, but i dont think that you can influence the nickname of a teenager. And i think it would be sort of weird to go from calling your friend one name to all of a sudden calling her another when you have known her as the first name your entire freindship. This is one of the reason i dont think i could ever change my name, (like some adults do), I mean its always diffrent when you go to introduce yourself to someone, because you have never met them. But how do your family react to it, and how do they go from one to another? I think it would be odd to do it at all, however i know many people who go by one name at home, that is more cutesy and another name at school/work that sounds more professional. But the biggest problem would be trying to tell a teenager to go by Eliza. She may not like it, she may like Liz or Lizzy or Ell or Ellie. So i wouldnt get your hope up for her to go by Eliza, though it is possible! But thats just my opinon

Quote Originally Posted by devinjes
    Hmmm, I think that this would be very confusing. I got confused reading your post, lol, but that may just be me. I think you can deffinatly influence a nickname, but i dont think that you can influence the nickname of a teenager. And i think it would be sort of weird to go from calling your friend one name to all of a sudden calling her another when you have known her as the first name your entire freindship. This is one of the reason i dont think i could ever change my name, (like some adults do), I mean its always diffrent when you go to introduce yourself to someone, because you have never met them. But how do your family react to it, and how do they go from one to another? I think it would be odd to do it at all, however i know many people who go by one name at home, that is more cutesy and another name at school/work that sounds more professional. But the biggest problem would be trying to tell a teenager to go by Eliza. She may not like it, she may like Liz or Lizzy or Ell or Ellie. So i wouldnt get your hope up for her to go by Eliza, though it is possible! But thats just my opinon
    Or my hunch, that after a lifetime of Betsey, she will decide to be Elizabeth. (If she decides to change, that is)