Names Searched Right Now:

River on a girl?

Whilst I was searching for name I found a really odd sibset.Quads, all girls and their names were: River, Rayne, Skye and wait for it... Julianna!

It got me thinking, I always though River to be a more masculine name, like Forrest.

What do you think of the name River for a girl?

Re: River on a girl?

Wow that is an odd sib-set!
    But I could see River working either sex. On a somewhat related note but slightly off topic - A high school friend of my sister's named her son Ryver..and their last name is Troll. Ryver Troll.

There's a canceled TV show, called Firefly, directed by Joss Whedon, which has a female character named River Tam. The subsequent movie, Serenity, made it more mainstream. So I've always thought of River as a girl's name.

Although River is mostly used for boys, because it's a nature name I don't think it can really "belong" to one gender or the other. In my opinion nature names (i.e. River, Lake, Sky, Moon, etc.) are fair game for either sex. I do want to say though that the only River I know is a girl. Even though it's so popular for boys I don't personally know of any boys named River, just the one girl. She's 12.