Names Searched Right Now:
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Gwendolen

Re: Gwendolen

No, Crunchy, I completely get what you are saying, and I don't see Annabel on a soccer mom either - she'd be Annie, I think. And, you're right, Mira sounds adult enough to be taken seriously, yet it has the romanticism and intrigue that Mirabelle represents - it is really the best of both worlds in a short and sweet nickname, so I can see why you and your husband are falling in love with it! As long as a frilly, flouncy name like Mirabelle - or Annabel, even - has a more adult (not that Mirabelle couldn't be stunning on a grown woman!) nickname, I think you're really fine. It just comes down to 1) which name you love more, and 2) which name is a better fit with Scarlett, Penelope, and Gwendolen...

And, I do think Scarlett and Penelope are an inspired pairing despite their different origins! It almost makes it more fun - a mash-up of origins and styles create a beautiful picture when they have similar feels and connotations, I think.

Lemon :-)

PS When are the girls due, again?

PPS I hate this new layout, I think. I don't understand what all the symbols mean - what was wrong with the old layout?
    "Names, once they are in common use, quickly become mere sounds, their etymology being buried, like so many of the earth's marvels, beneath the dust of habit." - Salman Rushdie

Boy Combinations: Archer Solomon James, Ronan Charles Bennett, Everett Hawthorn Thomas
    Girl Combinations: Phoebe Marietta Pearl, Clara Daphne Eloise
    Other Favorites: Eliza (Eliza Wren), Juliet, Rosanna, Thea, Johanna, Jude

Gwendolen and Mirabelle are so amazing together! Not a pair I ever would have thought of, but they really work so beautifully together, and with Penelope and Scarlett! I really love this twinset, a lot more than Eleanor and Vivienne. It's just so much more interesting and unexpected. Nicknames Gwen and Mira are really great together, too! I think Mirabelle goes with Gwendolen a lot better than Annabel, but I really love Annabel, too! I do think Mirabelle will age well, i can see it on any age. And you're so right about soccer moms and how you don't care about other mom's names! Hmm, I'm not sure this post is coherent, I'm really tired! Basically, I love the Penelope, Scarlett, Gwendolen and Mirabelle sibset! Oh... Have you considered Maribelle? I think I like Miribelle better for you, but I love Maribelle a lot!

P.S. You guys are gonna end up loving the new layout! It's going to make everything amazzzzzinng! Though... I haven't figured out what any of those icons mean yet!
    Proud mama to two sweet boys:

Dashiell David Rowe
    and
    Flynn William Warfield

"Real babies are more difficult than ideas of babies... Or even pictures of babies."
    -James Franco

Things I like about the new layout -- you can see previous posts, it's easier to copy/paste stuff... you can use colors, and it's more like other message boards. I'm not really used to it yet though.

Thanks lyndsay - I actually do like the name Maribelle too. Mirabelle seems to have more history and it's own meaning though. I think I read it was used in the middle ages! Maribelle seems to just be a combo of Mary and Belle or Mary and Isabel. The meaning per another website is "Maria Isabel" (not that I can really talk about names meaning something when my first two are "red" and "duck")

The girls are due 12/26.

My DH sent me this link today: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Flowers
    I don't see anything I like except Orchid, so Orchid will be one of the twin's mn's for DH. Yes, he's always this helpful :)

most likely Gwendolen Orchid.
    Mirabelle Daisy
    Mirabelle Dahlia
    Mirabelle Violet

Those three names would keep the literature connection in Mirabelle's name. I haven't found anything else that fits the specific mold. I'd like a 6 letter flower just so the # of letters match, but I can get over that. I can also get over the character name too!
    Wife to one great guy
    Mama to six pretty ladies: Scarlett (12), Penelope (9), Alice (3), Fiona (3), Lucille (16 mo.) & Coraline (16 mo.)

& 4 angels gone before us: Christian (7 wks), Amos (6 wks), Naomi (16.5 wks), & Hosanna (6 wks)

~We fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.~

I like Gwendolyn and Abigail. Abigail is really pretty and I like Gwendolyn, its my grandmas name, and I like the the spelling Gwendolyn better.

Crunchy,

I'm so happy you think you'll be using Gwendolen Orchid! It's amazing! My favorite from the start of this middle name conversation...

And, for literary relevance, I'd choose Mirabelle Daisy to go with Gwendolen Orchid. Mirabelle Daisy might seem a little light and frivolous in comparison to the strong and elegant Gwendolen Orchid, but it is just so cute! Dahlia reminds me of Black Dahlia - the murder case - and Mirabelle Violet, though gorgeous, isn't particularly interesting to me. So, yes, I'd 100% choose Gwendolen Orchid and Mirabelle Daisy!

PS You've got the same number of syllables with those names, so I wouldn't worry about matching letter counts. Don't drive yourself nuts over this, okay?

Lemon :-)
    "Names, once they are in common use, quickly become mere sounds, their etymology being buried, like so many of the earth's marvels, beneath the dust of habit." - Salman Rushdie

Boy Combinations: Archer Solomon James, Ronan Charles Bennett, Everett Hawthorn Thomas
    Girl Combinations: Phoebe Marietta Pearl, Clara Daphne Eloise
    Other Favorites: Eliza (Eliza Wren), Juliet, Rosanna, Thea, Johanna, Jude