Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Gwendolen

Re: Gwendolen/Gwendolyn and ____

Really love Gwendolen & Annabel, right way mostly becuase I love the name Annabel & Gwendolen. I don't think I'm the most biased person. But I think those name could really go together.

Quote Originally Posted by reganlister
    Not to be Lazy with a short response...but I LOVE Gwendolyn and Annabel. I think they are a perfect pair. Well balanced. Very cute. Are you expecting twins? Wow....my name issues could be worse.
    Thanks for the thoughts! Yep, twin girls. I'll 20 weeks on Saturday! Being a "name nerd" is a disadvantage in this situation. I'm in name overload :)
    Wife to one great guy
    Mama to six pretty ladies: Scarlett (12), Penelope (9), Alice (3), Fiona (3), Lucille (16 mo.) & Coraline (16 mo.)

& 4 angels gone before us: Christian (7 wks), Amos (6 wks), Naomi (16.5 wks), & Hosanna (6 wks)

~We fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.~

Crunchy,

Eleanor - I think both of these names are lovely, but Gwendolen and Eleanor both have a similar "e" sound, which really bothers me. If I had to pick one, it would be Gwendolen, hands down. I think it is much more spunky and unique, so I find it to be a better fit with Scarlett and Penelope. Eleanor is lovely and elegant, but it doesn't have quite the same pizazz that your other girls' names have, in my opinion.

Annabel - Annabel is so lovely, a tad bit cutesy, but definitely classic and elegant. I think it is sweet with Annabel, and I could picture introducing twins called Gwendolen and Annabel. I think Annie is one of the greatest nicknames around, but Annabel presents very many nickname options for you. I think this name is more "classic," from a traditional standpoint, than your other names, but it still works beautifully.

Lucinda - Lucinda feels a little bit older than Scarlett and Penelope do, but then again, so does Gwendolen. When I suggested this, I noted that both Gwendolen and Lucinda share very strong D sounds - I don't know if this is a good or bad thing. If I had to say them one after the other, it would have to be Lucinda and Gwendolen - if not, it seems a little difficult to say, right? I think Lucie is a really cute nickname, but if you want to try and bring back Cindy, you probably could with this name...

Mirabelle - I like the Mirabelle spelling much more than Mirabel for you, as Mirabel feels more Spanish - is that right? - to me. Mirabelle is frilly and feminine, flouncy and fun. It seems to be completely your style! I wouldn't worry about what your friend said a while back. Mirabelle works beautifully with Scarlett, Penelope, and Gwendolen. As I said before, Gwendolen and Penelope feel a bit more straightforward, whereas Scarlett and Mirabelle are a little more wild and whimsical. Together, they make for a beautiful set. Mirabelle has sweet nicknames, ranging from the classic Belle to the romantic Mira, to even a spunky Mimi! I just love this name.

Aurora - Aurora is so elegant and whimsical, but I agree with you - it is hard to say! Especially Rory, which I love so much. I really get tongue-tied with all those R's, and I'd imagine it would be very challenging for a child to say. Not that that should hold you back, though!

So, I'd choose Mirabelle as Gwendolen's sister, but Annabel would be my second choice. Eleanor has too much of the same vowel sound, Lucinda has too much of the same consonant sound, and Aurora is just a challenge to pronounce quickly, it seems. Let me know what happens!

Lemon :-)
    "Names, once they are in common use, quickly become mere sounds, their etymology being buried, like so many of the earth's marvels, beneath the dust of habit." - Salman Rushdie

Boy Combinations: Archer Solomon James, Ronan Charles Bennett, Everett Hawthorn Thomas
    Girl Combinations: Phoebe Marietta Pearl, Clara Daphne Eloise
    Other Favorites: Eliza (Eliza Wren), Juliet, Rosanna, Thea, Johanna, Jude

Eleanor - DH and I like it more with Vivienne, so it's still on the list, but only w/ that name.

Annabel - DH's favorite w/ Gwendolen. I haven't decided mine yet! I really like this combo though

Lucinda - today, it has a bit of an 80's feel to me. Also, I had no idea it would offend my DH so much! haha. After telling him this name, I probably could have gotten Imogen past him :)

Mirabelle - I like this combo. Wasn't completely sold on the name until i found it's perfect twin, and for me, this is it. (w/ Evangeline or Vivienne, I just didn't feel it.) I'm pronouncing this Meer-a-bel/Meera-bel and nn Mira would be Meer-a correct? babynamepedia said it a bit different (by the way, I clicked the pronunciations of Irena vs Irina and neither one is thrilling me- the weird pronunciation accents might be a problem though). I don't trully love Belle as a nn though. It's too cutesy for even me, but I could grow to like it I'm sure. I think that's why I might be favoring Annabel a bit. The "bel" isn't as complete there and you focus more on the Anna. Mira's kinda cute though as a nn.

Aurora - is out, I was just throwing it out there to say it's a great match for Gwendolen in my opinion. I just don't like the way this name sounds when I say it!

Gwendolen - DH likes Gwen as a nn. I have to get used to it. I was immediately drawn to Winnie or Wendy. (Wendy & Belle is a bit Peter Pan and Beauty and the Beast!) He thinks Gwen is just the more common nn and with such a long name, she'll want a nn and it makes sense to have a more common, obvious one. We have Penny- obvious nn. and Carly - obvious to us, but Scarlett doesn't really have an obvious/natural nn so for "outsiders" they normally just call her Scarlett. I don't really see how this matters or causes confusion, but we didn't really discuss it much further. (She goes by both names and is in no way shy to tell people what she prefers in that situation!)

I'm not jumping to any decisions yet though. I have time and I'm going to really try out the names this time.

Middle names?
    Wife to one great guy
    Mama to six pretty ladies: Scarlett (12), Penelope (9), Alice (3), Fiona (3), Lucille (16 mo.) & Coraline (16 mo.)

& 4 angels gone before us: Christian (7 wks), Amos (6 wks), Naomi (16.5 wks), & Hosanna (6 wks)

~We fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.~

Mirabel is a spelling alternative if that helps?
    28 year old name addict, dreaming of a future:

Claudie, Quentin, Lilac, Otto, Mirabelle, Emrys, Thea, Xavier, Angelica, Harlan, Phoebe, Byron, Tabitha, Lennox