Names Searched Right Now:
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Re: Name suggestion alternatives-some updates

No, 170 babies named Soraya is not many at all! I don't quite remember what Soraya's meaning is, and I recall you saying NB didn't have it right - what is it, again?

It seems Soraya is the name for you. I love Araya, and its perky pronunciation, but you keep coming back to Soraya, and I think that definitely means something. I don't know how Raya is typically pronounced, but I would pronounce it as 'RAY-uh,' myself, as in the name Rhea. Strangely, my first instinct with Soraya is 'sor-RYE-ah,' which doesn't have the same Raya pronunciation. This is a pronunciation key I found for Raya, so it seems I'm on track there:

r ai y uh
    rat pain yes up

And here is one for Soraya, so it seems I'm on track with the majority there, too:

s oh r ay uh
    so so rat lie up

Interesting, isn't it?

Lemon :-)
    "Names, once they are in common use, quickly become mere sounds, their etymology being buried, like so many of the earth's marvels, beneath the dust of habit." - Salman Rushdie

Boy Combinations: Archer Solomon James, Ronan Charles Bennett, Everett Hawthorn Thomas
    Girl Combinations: Phoebe Marietta Pearl, Clara Daphne Eloise
    Other Favorites: Eliza (Eliza Wren), Juliet, Rosanna, Thea, Johanna, Jude

Quote Originally Posted by lemon
    No, 170 babies named Soraya is not many at all! I don't quite remember what Soraya's meaning is, and I recall you saying NB didn't have it right - what is it, again?

It seems Soraya is the name for you. I love Araya, and its perky pronunciation, but you keep coming back to Soraya, and I think that definitely means something. I don't know how Raya is typically pronounced, but I would pronounce it as 'RAY-uh,' myself, as in the name Rhea. Strangely, my first instinct with Soraya is 'sor-RYE-ah,' which doesn't have the same Raya pronunciation. This is a pronunciation key I found for Raya, so it seems I'm on track there:

r ai y uh
    rat pain yes up

And here is one for Soraya, so it seems I'm on track with the majority there, too:

s oh r ay uh
    so so rat lie up

Interesting, isn't it?

Lemon :-)

Lemon:

The pronunciations are VERY INTERESTING! Thanks for posting them for me! In regards to the 'real' meaning of Soraya based on my research...it is a star cluster in the constellation of Taurus...I believe the star cluster that represents the 7 daughters of Atlas. And my Soraya just happens to be a Taurus, so.... HOWEVER, Nameberry has it listed as meaning 'princess'...when I feel it only received that meaning because of Princess Soraya, the wife of the former Shah of Iran. After really digging deeply, I discovered that Princess Soraya was named sometime in 1930ss for the actual meaning I go by. So just by association of a princess and a name, the name Soraya derived it's 'modern day meaning so to speak'. And the princess meaning just doesn't cut it for me, although it is a nice one. Basically Soraya is the Persian name for what the Greek call Pleiades (which I am sure people in general are more familiar w/)...or what the Japanese call Subaru as funny as that sounds because of the well known car brand.

Janda

Just to chime in! My impression as to why nameberry has Soraya is listed as meaning princess, is its link to Sariah which in turn is a form of Sarah (as is Sarai) all of which mean princess.

Pronounciation wise I agree with Lemon. Instinctively I would pronounce Araya uh-RAY-uh and Soraya suh-REYE-uh.

However since reading your posts I've quite easily adapted to saying suh-RAY-uh and I think most people in your daughters life would too.
    28 year old name addict, dreaming of a future:

Claudie, Quentin, Lilac, Otto, Mirabelle, Emrys, Thea, Xavier, Angelica, Harlan, Phoebe, Byron, Tabitha, Lennox

Okay, so I know I'm waaay too late in the game, but I want to suggest some anyway:)

Zelina
    Alma
    Zola
    Eleni
    Calandra
    Ambra
    Ashira
    Azura
    Demitra
    Demitria
    Elettra
    Eliora
    Emira
    Feodora
    Liora
    Petra
    Ramira
    Sapphira
    Sashira
    Yadira
    Amaya
    Aniya
    Batya
    Enya
    Liya
    Priya
    Sonya
    Surya
    Zilya
    Zoya
    Asha
    Leela
    Sorina

I hope this helps:)

:)
    Isabel

I'm not sure if these have been suggestes all ready but how about Thea, Aria, or Alaia (ah-lye-uh). They are unusual and exotic but not out there. Also, if you like Mara and Mira you might like Mila (prn Mee-la).
    *Under Construction*