Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Re: Name Suggestion Alternatives: Finally an update

Janda,

Thanks for all the sweet compliments and things you said. I'm just so happy to get to help you, so it is all worth it!

Anyway, first things first - Lyra. Yes, it is said with a "lie" sound, as in lyre, from which its meaning is derived. So, no, it doesn't rhyme with Keira. Pity that your husband dislikes it so much!

And, about Seren, I think both "sair-en" and "seh-ren" are accepted pronunciations, though I personally think "sair-en," as in the beginning of Sarah, is easier to say with an American accent than "seh-ren." Could be just me, though! Gorgeous name either way in my opinion...

I'm going to jump ahead to your very important questions. Would I choose a name for my baby that rhymed with the name of a deceased child? No, absolutely not. Why? Because, I wouldn't choose a name for my baby that rhymed with a living child's name! Navarra is still your daughter, regardless of the fact that she is no longer living, and I think she should be treated as such, myself. You said you speak of her often, and even if you don't sign her name on cards or anything, she is still a part of your family. That's why I personally wouldn't be comfortable using Mara or Amara, though they could make nice middle names. Speaking of, have you ever considered using Seren as your daughter's first name and giving her a middle name of Mara or Amara? Seren seems to fit your fair description, and its Welsh background fits nicely with your sibling set, I think.

I would say that you have a somewhat difficult sibling set to "match," so to speak. Keira and Everett are a bit more mainstream, whereas Navarra feels different, more exotic. However, this gives you room to play with more unusual names, so I think you've got something neat going on! I'm going to give some more suggestions, but keep in mind that I kind of already forgot what I suggested last time. I'm kicking things off with another round of -ra names, so maybe something will work:

Adora - "beloved one" - Addie, Dora
    Alora - "my dream" - Ali, Lora, Lori*
    Annora - "honor" - Anna, Annie, Ann, Nora
    Azra - "pure" - Azi, Z*
    Deidra - "she who chatters" - Deedee
    Leora - "light" - Lee, Leo, Lora, Ora [Also Liora "Lia"]
    Sonora - "pleasant sounding" - Sonny, Sora, Nora
    Sora - "sky"
    Zora - "dawn" - Zo, Z

(Names marked with * don't appear on Nameberry!)

My favorites with Navarra, Keira, and Everett are Alora, Deidra, Leora (Liora), and Zora - I think Leora and Alora are awesome! Okay, I can't think of any more for today, so get back to me on those first. Good luck!

Lemon :-)
    "Names, once they are in common use, quickly become mere sounds, their etymology being buried, like so many of the earth's marvels, beneath the dust of habit." - Salman Rushdie

Boy Combinations: Archer Solomon James, Ronan Charles Bennett, Everett Hawthorn Thomas
    Girl Combinations: Phoebe Marietta Pearl, Clara Daphne Eloise
    Other Favorites: Eliza (Eliza Wren), Juliet, Rosanna, Thea, Johanna, Jude

Re: Name Suggestion Alternatives: Finally an update

Quote Originally Posted by lemon
    Janda,

Thanks for all the sweet compliments and things you said. I'm just so happy to get to help you, so it is all worth it!

Anyway, first things first - Lyra. Yes, it is said with a "lie" sound, as in lyre, from which its meaning is derived. So, no, it doesn't rhyme with Keira. Pity that your husband dislikes it so much!

And, about Seren, I think both "sair-en" and "seh-ren" are accepted pronunciations, though I personally think "sair-en," as in the beginning of Sarah, is easier to say with an American accent than "seh-ren." Could be just me, though! Gorgeous name either way in my opinion...

I'm going to jump ahead to your very important questions. Would I choose a name for my baby that rhymed with the name of a deceased child? No, absolutely not. Why? Because, I wouldn't choose a name for my baby that rhymed with a living child's name! Navarra is still your daughter, regardless of the fact that she is no longer living, and I think she should be treated as such, myself. You said you speak of her often, and even if you don't sign her name on cards or anything, she is still a part of your family. That's why I personally wouldn't be comfortable using Mara or Amara, though they could make nice middle names. Speaking of, have you ever considered using Seren as your daughter's first name and giving her a middle name of Mara or Amara? Seren seems to fit your fair description, and its Welsh background fits nicely with your sibling set, I think.

I would say that you have a somewhat difficult sibling set to "match," so to speak. Keira and Everett are a bit more mainstream, whereas Navarra feels different, more exotic. However, this gives you room to play with more unusual names, so I think you've got something neat going on! I'm going to give some more suggestions, but keep in mind that I kind of already forgot what I suggested last time. I'm kicking things off with another round of -ra names, so maybe something will work:

Adora - "beloved one" - Addie, Dora
    Alora - "my dream" - Ali, Lora, Lori*
    Annora - "honor" - Anna, Annie, Ann, Nora
    Azra - "pure" - Azi, Z*
    Deidra - "she who chatters" - Deedee
    Leora - "light" - Lee, Leo, Lora, Ora [Also Liora "Lia"]
    Sonora - "pleasant sounding" - Sonny, Sora, Nora
    Sora - "sky"
    Zora - "dawn" - Zo, Z

(Names marked with * don't appear on Nameberry!)

My favorites with Navarra, Keira, and Everett are Alora, Deidra, Leora (Liora), and Zora - I think Leora and Alora are awesome! Okay, I can't think of any more for today, so get back to me on those first. Good luck!

Lemon :-)
    You are MORE than welcome Lemon for the compliments! Thanks for the quick response. I am so relieved that there are people out there, even if they are people that I do not know, that can be honest w/me and admit that even though Amara/Mara are different names than Navarra, that they do rhyme and they agree that if they were in my shoes, that they wouldn't be comfortable using them either...so once again, thank you thank you thank you...as that makes me feel so much better to be validated in my thinking. Also, what you said about how just because Navarra is deceased doesn't make her any less a member of my family definitely made my night. As she came into this world just like my living children, but didn't get to come home, and if I wouldn't name a child w/a name that rhymed w/another living child, than I agree you are correct in that Navarra deserves the same respect. I couldn't parent her in life, so I gave her the only and greatest gift I could ever give her, the gift of my favorite name in the whole world at the time and the one I thought of throughout my whole pregnancy w/her (even though I didn't find out the gender), so I would have felt sheepish 'saving the name for later' when it was quite meant for her...I would have felt like I was stealing from her....just like I would feel like I was stealing from her now if I changed Soraya's name to Amara/Mara. And that is what I think kept me from naming her that in the hospital and not submitting the paperwork all these weeks to change her name...because deep down, even though I LOVE the name Mara...I cannot do it, because the 'ara' sound (my fave sound of all time) belongs to Navarra and Soraya deserves her own 'sound'. Also, side note, I wonder if people that go on to have more than 2 of the same gender, end up settling on the names at that point or at least feeling like it, since it stands to reason that one would use their fave names on the 1st born of that particular gender, argh!?!?

You made another good point about how Keira and Everett are more mainstream and Navarra is more exotic, just like Soraya...so if I do keep Soraya (which I seem to be leaning towards more and MORE each passing day), I would have started on an exotic note so to speak and ended on one since Soraya will most probably be my last child.

Another question I forgot to ask in my last post was whether the meaning or how the name sounded was more important when choosing a name or both? W/Soraya the meaning grew on me more than the sound did at first and now that I am getting used to saying it more, the sound is growing on me, or maybe it is just because I am starting to associate it w/my baby, whom I obviously love?!

By the way, I like the 'idea' of Seren as a first name, but since I LOVE LOVE LOVE my girls' names to end w/an "a", I cannot put Seren in the first name slot, but good suggestion! Also, if I put Amara or Mara in the middle slot, it would unsurp (sp.), the whole idea of using "S" nature names for the middle names. And that is why I have been having a problem w/Soraya besides the "y"...I never really wanted the first and middle name for any of my kids to start w/the same letter and I was worried that Soraya's name had too much of an 'alliteration theme' going for it (rolls eyes)!?

By the way, Lemon, one saving grace about Soraya not ending in 'ra' like the other 2 girls' names do, is the fact that there is an 'ra' in her name in the middle which is a bonus, as I am particular about this stuff, and I can always nickname her Sora, although DH says NO WAY! That Raya would be more likely that Sora any day!

I like Sonora and Zora...DH poo pooed Sonora in the past and I think he said he liked Zora...I liked Aurora at one time, too, but when I said it, I just didn't feel comfortable....I felt garbled.

Thanks again Lemon!

Janda

Re: Name suggestion alternatives-some updates

To answer your main questions: No, I would not give any of my children a name that rhymed with a deceased son or daughter. It would make me feel as if I was essentially denying the deceased child's existence or treating her like she was replaceable -- just because she was not physically present. It would feel disrespectful, and I couldn't do that. To put it a different way, using a rhyming name for her sibling would be like stepping on her individuality or ignoring her place within the family.

BTW, look how Navarra has touched people from all over, even tonight, as Nameberries write about her and read about her.

As for more name suggestions to go with Navarra, Keira, and Everett: Here are a few. By now, you may have considered these already:

Alexandra
    Sondra
    Samira
    Amira
    Audra

I still think Soraya is gorgeous!
    Mother of three teenagers: (1) Daniel Glen, (2) Timothy Austin, and (3) Rebecca Jane. All middle names honor family, with Jane used three generations in a row. (A second girl would have been Susanna Eve.

Well the only thing that I can confidently help you on is the pronounciation of Seren.

Don't worry, you are pronouncing it exactly right. And I speak Welsh so I say that with confidence :) hehe.

SEH-ren, more emphasis on the first syllable. I hear a lot of people, even English speaking people in Wales that say it suh-REN but I can confirm that is totally wrong. As far as I can tell you seem to be saying it just right and I think it's an absolutely beautiful name :) I plan to use it as a middle name for one of my children one day if I'm so lucky!
    28 year old name nerd, dreaming of a future:

Claudie, Lilac, Hadley, Thea, Phoebe, Mirabelle, Penelope & Clementine.
    Otto, Quentin, Xavier, Ace, Lennox, Byron, Rafferty & Harlan.

_