Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Uncommon Last Name for First Name

I plan to use my last name (future maiden name) for a boy's mn.

I've actually thought about this as well. My maiden name is Nich0lson (as in the actor, Jack). I thought it would make a great middle name, or even first name. I actually have a friend whose middle name is Nich0lson, and he goes by Nick. I don't think I'd use it for a first name, though. Where I'm from, using a mother or grandmother's maiden name for a child is fairly common, especially as middle name.

If you really want to honor your family, you should use it. He could always go by Cy. I know of a brand new baby Hatchell, which is definitely an uncommon first name, but people don't bat an eye because it is a family name. I would just balance the name with a very strong, traditional middle. Like Cyphert William or Cyphert Thomas.

I would use Cyphert as a middle name. That way, he would still own and carry the name without having to deal with spelling hassles on a day-to-day basis. It would be a greatl middle name.

My maiden name (Schl--sser) is ten letters long. Before I got married, it was tiring to have to painstakingly spell it all the time -- help people pronounce it -- and it seemed to take forever to sign my name. I love the idea of a mother passing her maiden name to a child, but some names are more suitable for that than others. I only entertained the idea for half a milli-second before deciding I could not burden my child with a ten-letter middle name that they would have to help people spell and pronounce.

Cyphert is MUCH more user friendly than my maiden name and would probably work as a first name. I like the previous poster's idea of Cy as a nn and using a solid, familiar middle name - like Cyphert Thomas or Cyphert William. However, I just think your son may have an easier time with a more familiar first name and Cyphert in the middle.
    Mother of three teenagers: (1) Daniel Glen, (2) Timothy Austin, and (3) Rebecca Jane. All middle names honor family, with Jane used three generations in a row. (A second girl would have been Susanna Eve.

I plan to use a version of my maiden name as my first sons mn. It is a very common tradition. Cyrus is an awesome name.
    *Under Construction*