Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Uncommon Last Name for First Name

I not pregnant or planning to be for a LONGGGGG time ,but, I like to think about names I want to use when the time comes. And I usual like classic and vintage names ,but, I'm starting to think of using my last name (future madien name, hopefully) as a boy name. My last name is an Americanized spelling of German last name and it's pretty uncommon. But it's mostly too uncommon, to the point where I'm scared to even think of using it. I thought of a nickname for it, but I'm not the biggest fan of that name. So in short, do you think an uncommon last name could be a first name?

Re: Uncommon Last Name for First Name

You would have to tell us the name. As long as you don't mention your first name, I'm sure your last name can't be so uncommon that anyone will be able to google you. Or you could type it in l33t $p3@k.

It sounds like you don't actually like the name very much, though.
    Proud mama to two sweet boys:

Dashiell David Rowe
    and
    Flynn William Warfield

"Real babies are more difficult than ideas of babies... Or even pictures of babies."
    -James Franco

Quote Originally Posted by lyndsayjenness
    You would have to tell us the name. As long as you don't mention your first name, I'm sure your last name can't be so uncommon that anyone will be able to google you. Or you could type it in l33t $p3@k.

It sounds like you don't actually like the name very much, though.
    My last name is Cyphert "the nn is Cyrus" and I like my last name, I do. I want to honor my family becuase I love my family, why would wouldn't I want to honor them? But I fear Cyrus wouldn't understand why I choose that name. Also, why the nn Cyrus, I think of Miley Cyrus and I don't like that association.

Also, I don't want people to think that I just made up a name and named my child, especially when it's as meaning full as it is to me.

Don't worry about people thinking you made it up. They will ask where the name came from, and when you say it's your maiden name, it will make sense to them! And i think your son would definitely understand why you named him that, I'm sure he would love the connection.

I dont know about Cyphert as a first name, though. I mean if you really love it as a first name then it will work. Especially if you make sure your son knows how special it is. I think I would just name him Cyrus, though, and let your son and everyone in your family know that that's why you chose it. However, that is only my opinion and I always think you should do what feels right for your family, since we're all different!

Oh, and don't worry about Miley Cyrus! By the time you have a son she will have probably already faded, but if not, she most definitely will have by the time he starts kindergarten! Another possibility is Silas, though it certainly isn't as direct. I much prefer Cyrus, though. Or you could look into the history of your surname and maybe use something relating to it's meaning.

Dashiell David Rowe
    and
    Flynn William Warfield

"Real babies are more difficult than ideas of babies... Or even pictures of babies."
    -James Franco

The surname of CYPHERS was a baptismal name 'the son of Siefert' a name meaning victory. After the Crusades in Europe, in the 11th 12th and 13th century people began, perhaps unconsciously, to feel the need of a family name, or at least a name in addition to the simple one that had been possessed from birth. The nobles and upper classes, especially those who went on the Crusades, observed the prestige and practical value of an added name, and were quick to take a surname. The name is also spelt SYER, CYPHERT and CYR. Early records of the name mention John SIFLED, who was recorded in London, England in the year 1400, and William CYPHERS, was documented in Camterbury in 1490

http://www.4crests.com/cyphers-coat-of-arms.html

So, there are a few variations in there. What stands out to me is that it mean Victory. I think that'd be an awesome middle name. Or you could use Victor for a boy or Victoria for a girl. Or any name that means victory. I also think Cyr would make a nice middle name.

Dashiell David Rowe
    and
    Flynn William Warfield

-James Franco