Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Names from the Old South

I think the South has some pretty unique naming style. What would you tag as a Southern name or Southern naming style.

I think of last names or very pretty names:]
    Willa Mae
    Charlotte
    Carlyle
    Emerson
    Hattie

Re: Names from the Old South

Having been born and raised in the deep south I think there are some beautiful names - and very unique. One huge trend where I am from is taking a tradtional name like Sara, Anne or Mary and adding the mothers maiden name to it - making it a double name.
    Examples:
    Anne Baker, Anne Wyatt, Mary Nichols, Sara Kensley etc...
    These girls will go by these names their whole life too! I love it!

These are the names that remind me of the South. I'm not too sure why, I just picture people with these names as having a southern accent.

- Tallulah
    - Dinah
    - Susannah
    - Lorelei
    - Louanne

Mm, names from the Old South. Having been born and raised in Alabama, I've heard my fair share of them. For guys, these names are ones that are mostly used for girls now: Ashley, Whitney, Meredith, Courtney, Madison, Addison, Kelly, Carey, Lindsay/Lindsey, Hilary, and the like. There's also a fair share of the classics like William, James, John, Charlie (rarely Charles), etc. Then you have names like Virgil, Brooks, Clyde, Ray, Donahue, and Floyd.

As far as I know, the girls (or at least in my family) all have Biblical names like Mary, Elizabeth, Esther, Sarah, etc. There's a lot of Helen, Dorothy, Barbara, Vivian, Ethel, and Betty. Then you have the double names, which is usually a boyish nickname followed by a very feminine one syllable name. Ex: Eddie Pearl, Billie May, Johnnie June, etc. I also have a Cora Sue in the family. These names are pretty much gone now, though. Nowadays the only double names you hear down here are Mary followed by a maiden name. Ex: Mary Stewart, Mary Rushton, Mary Devins, Mary James, etc. I know a few Mary Kates, Mary Elizabeths, Mary Claires, and Mary Helens as well.

Well, that's my family tree/Southern name lesson for the day.

I should add that all my "Old South" names would have been what was popular through the 1920s and 30s.